What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

FreeKnight

is that the stuff that explodes when mixed with water?
My chem's a bit rusty but that looks like the salt of citric acid IIRC. So I don't think so. Guessing it's for molecular gastronomy or cooking, or some kind of addititive.

Pure sodium is what you're probably thinking of. In this case it should just dissolve into solution (once again, IIRC).

FreeKnight

Correct.

Inorganic chem was a long time ago for me, but I seem to think the entire column of NA, K, etc explodes on contact with water.
Yeah the whole alkali column is pretty reactive in their pure state so I suspect you're right. I figured Friendly was thinking sodium as that's the one I seem to remember most people thinking 'reacts with water', but they might do that demonstration with potassium in classes/science demonstrations just as easily (I would assume the other alkali metals start to get expensive for demonstrations).

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Yeah the whole alkali column is pretty reactive in their pure state so I suspect you're right. I figured Friendly was thinking sodium as that's the one I seem to remember most people thinking 'reacts with water', but they might do that demonstration with potassium in classes/science demonstrations just as easily (I would assume the other alkali metals start to get expensive for demonstrations).
teacher said it was sodium when he pulled the cube out of some non-reactive fluid and dropped it into water.

Bartacus

I went HyperX crazy today at Canada Computers. I decided one of my rigs needed a keyboard upgrade, and one of my much loved Logitech Hero G502 mice lost it's blue RGB, and therefore could not be purple. Since I love purple, that mouse got demoted to my 3rd rig, and I bought a new HyperX keyboard / mouse / big mouse mat for my main gaming rig.

I love these huge mouse mats!!

New man cave is slowly coming along!

Bonus pic of the world's most expensive foot warmer (can pull 920W from my 1000W gold PSU, EEK!):

Last edited:

Latest posts