What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3080's where art thou?

Lysrin

So 3080s by Christmas then! :LOL: I know a lot of folks will want one for Cyberpunk 2077 so that would be a hit I would think if the stock stays non-existent until after the launch of that game.

sswilson

Staff member
So pretty much a paper launch in Canada except for a few sprinkles here and there?

Is it the same story for our southern neighbours?

belgolas

Yeah I searched every site I could think of and they are all out of stock. Some retail locations say they have 1 in stock. I think Edmonton got 2 or 3 GPUS for all of Alberta, BC I think has 1 for the province and Ontario has 3 for the whole province. 2 in Ottawa...

Looks like it is a soft launch. Well if I have to wait then I might as well see how the competition does and maybe even wait a bit more to see if a 3080 Ti comes out. Maybe next week we will have more stock but who knows.

What I found interesting was the 2 most popular websites in Canada were basically DDOSed and couldn't handle the traffic. Newegg is still experiencing problems while Canada Computers seems fine now.

I think a lot of the custom cards were rushed making me think this product was rushed. Some of the cards like EVGA's still have a SLI cutout on the backplate which looks off as there is no SLI on the 3080.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
So pretty much a paper launch in Canada except for a few sprinkles here and there?

Is it the same story for our southern neighbours?
I don't know anyone that got a card. And there were probably 100 of us on another site trying. Mostly us, a few Canada. This was a paper launch af imo.

belgolas

Look at Ebay! Holy hell are people desperate that they will pay several thousands of dollars... Some are paying $2k just for a preorder which isn't guaranteed to get it any faster. It is madness.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah I searched every site I could think of and they are all out of stock. Some retail locations say they have 1 in stock. I think Edmonton got 2 or 3 GPUS for all of Alberta, BC I think has 1 for the province and Ontario has 3 for the whole province. 2 in Ottawa...

Looks like it is a soft launch. Well if I have to wait then I might as well see how the competition does and maybe even wait a bit more to see if a 3080 Ti comes out. Maybe next week we will have more stock but who knows.

What I found interesting was the 2 most popular websites in Canada were basically DDOSed and couldn't handle the traffic. Newegg is still experiencing problems while Canada Computers seems fine now.

I think a lot of the custom cards were rushed making me think this product was rushed. Some of the cards like EVGA's still have a SLI cutout on the backplate which looks off as there is no SLI on the 3080.

To me, a "soft launch" is low(ish) stock but general availability for folks who're looking to get one at launch. 1, 2, or 3 for a whole province is a paper launch that they held back a few of their review units to send out to a few stores.

Skippman

It's no better down here. I tried NewEgg, the site crashed. I tried B&H Video, their site crashed. Tried EVGA, their site crashed. Gigabyte too. Drove to MircoCenter because they showed 16 various cards in stock. Was 5th in line. Manager comes out and says they gave away all their door tickets last night at 7 PM. Go to the Best Buy around the corner, they didn't get any in stock. Go to the Best Buy by my house, they got like 10, but they're all Pre-Orders. I ask the manager how someone can pre-order a card that wasn't available for pre-order on their website or anywhere. He just shrugs and says 'they all have names on them'. To me that means the staff bought all of them. I knew I was a moron to expect to get one, but I'm pissed that MicroCenter basically ignored the embargo/launch date and Best Buy basically cheated.

Latest posts