What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

FreeKnight

No one around me sells 1/2" thick maple hobby panels. Red oak comes 1/4", 1/2" thick in a ton of widths and lenghts, but maple doesn't seem to come less than 1" thick.

Red oak just doesn't look nearly as nice. I may try ripping some maple, but on that small a board it might be a little tough. Poplar comes thinner too, but it's even uglier than red oak :LOL:

sswilson

Staff member
I appear to have killed the MB memory controller/slots on that Z68 board I was playing with. Definitely not the fault of the individual who sold it to me, it was working when I got it.

I was able to confirm that the processor and memory are working on other systems so it's not those, and I was also able to swap in a different PSU so it's not that.

Hrmmmm.... starting to look at the possibility of heat / solder issues. Has anybody here ever "baked" a motherboard? I've done video cards in the past but I'm not sure I've ever hear of anybody doing it to a motherboard.

I may just give it a long slow hit with the heat gun tomorrow to see if I can get some minor reflow going.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I did it with a laptop mobo back around 2009/10 when they changed over the solder tech. It worked for another 6-9 months before going on the fritz again, and I gave up.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh..... well we'll see how it goes. I've currently got it up and running a cpu-z stress test on a single stick. I was tearing the motherboard down (removing heatsinks etc... ) with the intention to "bake" it tomorrow but decided that maybe a good cleaning of the socket pins was in order. Gave that a relatively good going over with alcohol on a soft brush, gave the cpu pads a good cleaning, and then ensured I reseated the cpu well. That might have done the trick, but the proof in the pudding will be when I try to throw on a second stick of memory.

edit: Second stick in and it seems to be running fine (basic pcmark bench).

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
No one around me sells 1/2" thick maple hobby panels. Red oak comes 1/4", 1/2" thick in a ton of widths and lenghts, but maple doesn't seem to come less than 1" thick.

Red oak just doesn't look nearly as nice. I may try ripping some maple, but on that small a board it might be a little tough. Poplar comes thinner too, but it's even uglier than red oak :LOL:
Locally, I've never seen maple in less than 3/4" finished or 4/4 rough. I love it for signs on my CNC router but it ain't cheap.

FreeKnight

Locally, I've never seen maple in less than 3/4" finished or 4/4 rough. I love it for signs on my CNC router but it ain't cheap.
Me either, was kind of hoping there'd be hobby panels, but it's all just small dimension S4S. Windsor plywood actually has some maple moulding on their site that might work, if not I'll try (carefully) ripping some 1x3 maple probably. It's such a great wood, so it's a shame it's not sold in more sizes. Admittedly a little hard on tools, but that's not exclusively a maple problem.

Entz

Watercooling part supply in Canada sucks. Daz is sold out of the two blocks I was looking at and he doesn't carry the third brand. Nothing against him, he is awesome, but only having one decent company carrying stuff sucks.

Ironically the hardest part of the 5000 launch may be the cooler lol

Izerous

Folding Team
Get replacement carpet installed in basement unit. Friday get a call from the installer asking me which room he was doing after I went though all of that with the representative that took the measurements. I didn't go check on the results was going to do that today afterwork since I was leaving town for the weekend. Get a call from the upstairs tennant mentioning it was really hot and he didn't even have the furnace on. Come home early and detour to find the carpet installer cranked the thermostat to 28'c and the new carpet looks like it has blood stains on it. Going to be a long week starting like this.

Latest posts