What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

sswilson

Staff member
Holy crap, is it really necessary to print it in that orientation? I guess strength wise its the best way?

That last plate? I wouldn't print it that way, having it flipped over wouldn't make any difference when it comes to strength as the layers are being printed in the same orientation.

Quite a few designers on Thingiverse don't bother trying to orient their designs for printing.

danmitch1

yeah for sure but this one looks like they intentionally sliced it standing up ( see the 12th picture )

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, 12 is essentially the same as the last one (the two main plates) I can't see any reason why you wouldn't flip that upside down. The one previous however (11) with the text on the top looks like it probably should be printed in that orientation.

Looking through the other designs, they're definitely not placed in the optimum printing orientation. If you printed the levers in that orientation, force would be applied in line with the layers as opposed to being at right angles.

lowfat

Staff member
Always cool when you run in to someone using one of your designs on thingiverse (or people posting makes/remixes even). Was browsing r/cablemangement today and found someone using my mountable combs. Although he was using them rather wrong as he glued them to the mobo tray instead of drilling a hole.

sswilson

Staff member
Always cool when you run in to someone using one of your designs on thingiverse (or people posting makes/remixes even). Was browsing r/cablemangement today and found someone using my mountable combs. Although he was using them rather wrong as he glued them to the mobo tray instead of drilling a hole.

Heh... did you tell him he was doing it wrong? :)

lowfat

Staff member
Heh... did you tell him he was doing it wrong? :)
Before I recognized it was my design I asked why he glued them instead of screwed them. He didn't have a tap. But I guess I should have designed it differently now that I think about it. Should screw in from the mobo side, then just have a captured nut on the backside. That way you don't need to tap the mobo tray.

But I did design it 3+ years ago.

sswilson

Staff member
I keep finding super simple mundane parts to print up around the home. The latest is a replacement rail mount for a keyboard tray modified to fit my pinball controller cabinet. 4.8 X 20 X 45 rectangle with 1 sunken hole (for metric screw top clearance) and 2 countersunk screw holes on the other side (for securing to the legs).

There's nothing to the design, but it's a perfect fit for what I want.

Bond007

So....not sure if this should go here or not. Since quite a few of you are obviously printing quite a bit now, any recommendations on a "best budget" recommendation?

I am not convinced I will get one just yet, but I keep getting tempted by sales and/or projects others have done. Obviously there may be varied opinions, but what would be the cheapest point of entry printer that would give minimal headaches and not leave me wanting for upgrades immediately after purchase in your opinion?

Latest posts