What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Izerous

Folding Team
Supposedly Telus installers are no longer allowed in your attics or crawl spaces. Instead of running a new fiber line through the attic which would have literally been the easiest, fastest and cheapest due to how the property is. He insisted on coming all the way through the roof down to ground level, across the outside of the house (along the outside of conduit) in through the wall and up from the basement suite into the upstairs suite. This is probably about 6x more wiring than what was needed and a lot more work to actually run it since there is accommodations for wiring in the attic to the exact spot he is trying to reach.

And I simply don't have the time to do the work properly for him.

Izerous

Folding Team
I wonder if the underlay was wet. Makes sense if he cranked the heat.

It was all new underlay etc as part of the requirements to get the stain warranty on this new carpet. And even after TWO cleaners have been through it is better than what it was but there are still splatter marks. Tonight inspecting it for the third time I also noticed splatter marks on the walls in a few spots, on trim and even a section of textured ceiling that I'll now have to rub smooth to get the staining off and replicate the texturing.

At this point the travel time and communication time I could have installed vinyl flooring by myself and been happier with the results. And have had this resolved weeks ago.

Like what did this carpet installer do sacrifice a virgin down here. And this isn't some fly by night 1 guy company, but larger company with bonded installers etc, warehouses of inventory etc. I have no idea if this is blood, or maybe a weird colored pop or what. All locks were rekeyed a second time too before handing the company a key to do the install. All windows were checked and locked etc.

Edit: yes a telus rep was down there today but he was watched like a hawk considering the issues I have had with the carpet and he wasn't over in this area except once to check for routing to run the cables.

Last edited:

clshades

It was all new underlay etc as part of the requirements to get the stain warranty on this new carpet. And even after TWO cleaners have been through it is better than what it was but there are still splatter marks. Tonight inspecting it for the third time I also noticed splatter marks on the walls in a few spots, on trim and even a section of textured ceiling that I'll now have to rub smooth to get the staining off and replicate the texturing.

At this point the travel time and communication time I could have installed vinyl flooring by myself and been happier with the results. And have had this resolved weeks ago.

Like what did this carpet installer do sacrifice a virgin down here. And this isn't some fly by night 1 guy company, but larger company with bonded installers etc, warehouses of inventory etc. I have no idea if this is blood, or maybe a weird colored pop or what. All locks were rekeyed a second time too before handing the company a key to do the install. All windows were checked and locked etc.

Edit: yes a telus rep was down there today but he was watched like a hawk considering the issues I have had with the carpet and he wasn't over in this area except once to check for routing to run the cables.
Was it raining the day he installed it? Did he bring over the carpet and underlay on a rainy day?

sswilson

Staff member
Did anybody else get a "free" two day trial of Dolby Atmos (for headphones) via a W10 settings notification? I got it on two different PCs today.

Is this the start of advertising baked into the OS?

edit: I suspect it had to do with "Dolby Access" which was part of the standard W10 install? (I've uninstalled it).

sswilson

Staff member
Nope, still on 2004. Further investigation suggests that the base W10 Dolby Atmos is "Free" but that they charge for enabling headphone support.

Not something I'd ever use, but my concern is the idea that some third party software that is part of the standard W10 install is going to start going micro-transaction on me.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Nope, still on 2004. Further investigation suggests that the base W10 Dolby Atmos is "Free" but that they charge for enabling headphone support.

Not something I'd ever use, but my concern is the idea that some third party software that is part of the standard W10 install is going to start going micro-transaction on me.
I NEVER get the update until the very end...ticks me off.

mebe I'll go use the update tool...

djbrad

Got that dolby atmos notification on my win10 2004 htpc too. I wish it does not become a standard.