What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Zen 2/3 & RAM overclocking

lowfat

Staff member
I haven't updated bios since the newest is still from mid-August. I'm still on Agesa 1.0.0.4 from last November. :p

But I did redo my mem OC. 48 hr memtest stable. 24 of Memtest86 and 24 of 'HCI memtest' via DRAM Calculator.
PNundl1.png

JD

Staff member
These B-Dies are a fair bit better than the former Hynix ones :) Much closer to this "best time" now at 109.2 instead of 113.3.

1603250180968.png

Bond007

These B-Dies are a fair bit better than the former Hynix ones :) Much closer to this "best time" now at 109.2 instead of 113.3.
Nice. Spent a bit on a new ram kit? B-dies seem to be the only ones that get close to or the same timings across the primary timings.

JD

Staff member
Can you not get tRCD lower? B-die should be able to get them as low as tCL, if not lower. How much voltage?
So the kit I have is rated at 4000MHz, 16-19-19-39, 1.4V (F4-4000C16D-32GTZR). To get CL14 @ 3600MHz to successfully boot I needed 1.38V, not sure if that is good or bad. I can do CL16 @ 3800MHz with the same voltage too.

One thing I noticed with the Calculator though is if I just manually pick B-Die, it gives me different settings compared to if I import the XMP data from Thaiphoon. The above screenshot is using the settings based on the imported XMP data.

Haven't really manually adjusted any timings yet though, just trying to get a rough idea of what it can do before I replace the 3900X ;)

Nice. Spent a bit on a new ram kit? B-dies seem to be the only ones that get close to or the same timings across the primary timings.
I don't think it was too badly priced... $390. My Hynix ones were $240 when I bought them basically a year ago. A premium for sure, but since my 3900X is going into a B550 for use elsewhere, I needed another set of RAM.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
So the kit I have is rated at 4000MHz, 16-19-19-39, 1.4V (F4-4000C16D-32GTZR). To get CL14 @ 3600MHz to successfully boot I needed 1.38V, not sure if that is good or bad. I can do CL16 @ 3800MHz with the same voltage too.

One thing I noticed with the Calculator though is if I just manually pick B-Die, it gives me different settings compared to if I import the XMP data from Thaiphoon. The above screenshot is using the settings based on the imported XMP data.

Haven't really manually adjusted any timings yet though, just trying to get a rough idea of what it can do before I replace the 3900X ;)

I don't think it was too badly priced... $390. My Hynix ones were $240 when I bought them basically a year ago. A premium for sure, but since my 3900X is going into a B550 for use elsewhere, I needed another set of RAM.

If it is actually b-die you definitely should be able to take tRCD way down. You may need way more voltage first. Like 1.45 to 1.5V is fine as long as the sticks have some air flow. I wonder why tRCD is listed so high by default, in the past G.Skill has always tightened those down w/ b-die.

Bond007

If it is actually b-die you definitely should be able to take tRCD way down. You may need way more voltage first. Like 1.45 to 1.5V is fine as long as the sticks have some air flow. I wonder why tRCD is listed so high by default, in the past G.Skill has always tightened those down w/ b-die.
Agree. Most b-die sticks I have seen are rated more uniformly from the start (ex: 16-16-16). That said, I haven't really looked into it much, and haven't followed it with higher freq/higher capacity sticks, so I could be wrong with those.

EDIT: Just found this review of g.skill b-die @4000mhz, which is factory set for 15-16-16-36. They were able to overclock to 4533mhz @ 16-16-16-36 (b-die fast setting)...but this is a 2x8gb kit.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, I wouldnt worry about XMP vs 1usmus b die settings difference. I'd actually trust the timings from the program over the manufacturer lol

lowfat

Staff member
Yeah, I wouldnt worry about XMP vs 1usmus b die settings difference. I'd actually trust the timings from the program over the manufacturer lol
I don't know if improved much but when I first tried it, his timings way too tight for my kit. I only used the numbers for tertiary timings. And even then there were 4-5 that caused the system to not boot.

JD

Staff member
As far as I can tell it's B-Die:

Module Manufacturer: G.Skill
Module Part Number: F4-4000C16-16GTZR
Module Series: Trident Z RGB
DRAM Manufacturer: Samsung
DRAM Components: K4A8G085WB-BCPB
DRAM Die Revision / Process Node: B / 20 nm

I think 16GB modules fair a bit worse than 8GB ones too though? As that classifies as dual rank instead of single rank?

Using the B-Die settings that come out of it without loading the XMP profile, results in this:

1603310488671.png

So... I'm not really certain what benefit there is to loading the XMP profile. Maybe it matches it up to other peoples "known good" settings?

Latest posts