What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Headsets; another recommendation thread around $100 cdn. And a pricier pair.

ipaine

So trying to figure out what to get for 2 different headsets for 2 different uses.

First would be for my son. He needs a replacement and his b-day is upcoming in a couple weeks. He has been using a HyperX cloud for years now and it is basically shot. I'm looking in the $100-125ish range. Could be wireless but wired is not a problem either.

I have looked at and considered these:

HyperX Cloud II wired -- $127
Steelseries Arctis 1 Wireless -- $120
Steelseries Arctis 5 wired -- $125
Razer Blackshark V2 USB Wired -- $140
Razer BlackShark V2 X -- $60
Steelseries Arctis 1 -- $65

He really only needs it for gaming and chatting with friends on discord. Maybe a bit of school work too since uni is completely online now.

And then the other person wanting a new headset is me, but my use is different. I want a pair that I can have as wireless connected to my main machine and ideally connected to my work laptop either cabled or wireless/bluetooth. For work I am spending the majority of the day on the phone (over the work laptop) and need to have a really good mic. I am currently using my Corsair Void wireless and I know that people have issues hearing me properly.

I am willing to spend a bit more for mine, but I also don't want to over spend. I have been looking at more than just gaming headsets as well, looking at some of the noise cancelling headsets like the cheaper taotronics/mpows. But that the same time have been looking at ones like the Steelseries Arctis Pro or Arctis 9.

So if anyone has any suggestions or comments on either one let me know. I don't plan on getting mine until black friday in the hope for a deal, but my sons I need to get asap to make sure I have it before the 27th.

Oh I forgot about my wife. Looking at something fairly cheap that she can wear around the house or for a walk. Trying to decide between these three:

Mpow H19 IPO -- $55
TaoTronics SoundSurge 85 -- $60
Anker Soundcore Life Q20 -- $70

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ipaine

I don't think he has reviewed any of the Steelseries headsets. Would have loved to hear what his thoughts are.

Edit: I'm an idiot that sucks at searching. Well I just never looked far enough back to see the reviews.

Last edited:

ipaine

Was looking at those as well.

Just drives me crazy how my boys birthday is always right before/after black friday and I always feel like i am getting ripped off. Maybe I'll just make him wait an extra couple days this year.

sswilson

Staff member
Was looking at those as well.

Just drives me crazy how my boys birthday is always right before/after black friday and I always feel like i am getting ripped off. Maybe I'll just make him wait an extra couple days this year.

Heh... wrap up a picture of a generic headset with the promise to go shopping on BF (or whatever the "h" they call the online sale).

sswilson

Staff member
Or if you know where you're going to purchase from, load a gift card/account for him with an appropriate amount of cash and give him that with the understanding of what it's for.

ipaine

Well looking at review after review and comparison after comparison and I just don't know what to get.

Already figured out my wife's but stuck for my son and me.

For my son it is more about getting him something that is good but decent price:

HyperX Cloud II wired -- $127
Steelseries Arctis 5 wired -- $125
Razer Blackshark V2 USB Wired -- $140

Or something else in that price range that has good audio and a ok mic at least.

For me though, I am having a tough time. I need to have good mic quality as this will be used for work and that is on phone calls all day using it. But I also want to have good quality sound for music and games. Oh and yes I want wireless. And then the last kind of catch is that work and play are separate systems and don't mind being connected to the work system wired. I know I am asking a lot but that is what I need.

With everything I have seen/read it seems like the Corsair Virtuoso non SE has the best mic, but I thought I read somewhere that after an update they fixed the SE mic. Unfortunately the reviews here don't include it in the newest "ultimate mic review" which was a bit disappointing since they only include things released this year and not just the bets mics available in 2020.

Honestly I keep leaning towards the Corsair Virtuoso but that mainly cause of the mic. For connectivity options though I really want the Steelseries Pro wireless. One thing I can't find so far is a comparison of mic quality if connected with 3.5mm for either of those as I feel like that might be the best option for connecting to the work machine.

Anyone out there have any actual experience with any of these? Or thoughts or suggestions of others?

Latest posts