What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what DAC, AMP, Speakers & Headphones do you have?

dustin1706

Upped my speakers and cans recently. After having tried lots of headphones, I wanted to go with the Sennheiser 660s, but then the 6xx Massdrop came up again earlier this year. It was too hard to justify an extra $380 for the bump in quality, So I went with the 6xx.

Picked up a Schiit Jotunheim amp/dac with multibit to run the headphones.

Also I was looking for a small set of speakers to fit on my already cramped desk under my Ultrawide. Grabbed a set of Kanto YU2 and am pleasantly surprised at the quality and volume. Not reference quality, but a very good value in a small form factor.

Shadowmeph

ok a little off topic is there anyway I can run Bluetooth head phones or ear buds off on my PC I know it doesn't support it but is there something I can buy so I can do this. Iuse standard 2.1 ( cheapo version) hooked to my TV which is also my monitor and at night I usually use head phone but am getting tired of the 25ft cord dragging around on my floor. I used to use USB wireless head phones but I keep breakingthem so now I am thinking use my ear buds hat I use for my tablet. I have two sets of those.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
it's also amazing how much CPU power affects the use fo Bluetooth. my wife has a budget Acer notebook with an E series CPU from AMD. the Bluetooth was nothing but buggy on it. I popped the module into my PC recently and shazaam, it works AMAZINGLY well. what a difference!

On2wheels

Is there a test for the audio range of a headset? I have Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7bGM and I'm pretty sure something has changed how they produce lows. For example, the game Hunt Showdown sounded like it had a lot more bass a few months ago, so I'm trying a few other games in the meantime but now I wonder if the set has always sounded this way. Silly I know but there's the 'new toy' effect that maybe had me fooled too. I guess you'd need some sort of sound measurement tool if you didn't have another pair to do a direct comparison to?

Lysrin

Is there a test for the audio range of a headset? I have Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7bGM and I'm pretty sure something has changed how they produce lows. For example, the game Hunt Showdown sounded like it had a lot more bass a few months ago, so I'm trying a few other games in the meantime but now I wonder if the set has always sounded this way. Silly I know but there's the 'new toy' effect that maybe had me fooled too. I guess you'd need some sort of sound measurement tool if you didn't have another pair to do a direct comparison to?

If you search on YouTube for something like "frequency range test for headphones" you'll get some things you can run, but there is always the issue of knowing whether the headphones are producing the frequency or not vs if your ears just can't hear the frequency. Change in a couple of months is unlikely for your ears unless you have been doing some noisy activities without proper PPE. You could of course have a couple people use the headphones and listen to the test to compare what each of you hear.

As you said I think you would need some gear to definitively measure what is coming out of the headphones to really know.

Entz

Given all the equipment people like Amir have at Audioscience review I don't know how easy it would be. Plus as you say you would need a second pair to know the baseline. Unless its tested on the same equipment I don't see how you could compare.

The Stanford Research SR1 that often gets mentioned is like 10k$ piece of kit.
Lots of people, including Rtings, use the Neumann KU 100 also ~10K
Those ASMR 2 ear things may work at around 200$ though not sure of the quality.

You start fighting the quality of the listening device.

Perhaps grab something like Audacity and try some low tones and see. It could just be the games or software. Not everything is mixed the same, windows could be interfering etc.

Lysrin

Another thought triggered by @Entz comments, I got a notification the other day to test Dolby stuff on Windows 10 for free for a while. You didn't perhaps turn something like that on and it is changing your sound?

Also some games have a settings in audio for headphones, or speakers, or surround, etc. Double-check none of those were changed by accident perhaps?

Latest posts