What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Any OLED owners out there?

Prickly007

If it's only a few years old and was near the top-end when bought, you probably won't notice much difference. I don't think TV's have changed tredmendously in the last couple years, but they have gotten cheaper.

At the risk of going slightly off topic, what if one had a six-ish year old Plasma TV? I have been contemplating an upgrade, in part because the TV is now in a much smaller room (compared to our old house) and throws off a LOT of heat.

FreeKnight

At the risk of going slightly off topic, what if one had a six-ish year old Plasma TV? I have been contemplating an upgrade, in part because the TV is now in a much smaller room (compared to our old house) and throws off a LOT of heat.
Getting rid of my plasma because it was literally cooking my tiny apartment years ago was one of the reasons I upgraded to an OLED. Picture quality is at least as good, better IMO but I'm not stuck in a 27 degree bedroom...

Of course I'm in a house now so it's less of a concern, but I don't notice heat from the oled at all unlike my Sammy Plasma that could heat a small Swedish village

JD

Staff member
what if one had a six-ish year old Plasma TV?
OLED would be the logical replacement if you don't want to "lose" anything. However, I'm not sure how much you'd be gaining either outside of 4K/HDR support from a picture quality standpoint. You will reduce the heat output though :)

Entz

Something like the Sony X900H/X950H or Samsung Q80T/Q90T might scratch your itch too while being more affordable. I think a high quality LED TV would still give you some improvements.
One thing to be careful of here is going to be blooming. Depends on the set and how much it bothers you. The latter being the most important bit.

I have a 900F which is very similar to the 900H and it is a phenomenal TV for sports. I like it better than my old plasma, though that may be Sony’s processing. Great for all content actually though I do find on movies the blooming can be noticeable on an all black screen with small bright areas (play pause buttons, subtitles, spill into the black bars etc). Especially true with HDR retina burning bright spots. HDR in general is awesome though.

The X950H apparently has way better backlight control, anti reflective, better HDR over the 900H so it would be my non OLED recommendation. Unless you need VRR.The 65 for 1999 is a fantastic price (vs 2700 for the CX)

I am not sure how much more things will change price wise, the C1 (apparently CXI is used by models in other areas so restart time) should be announced soon.

+1 to Costco, if you have any issues it’s so simple to deal with them.

edit: small clarification

Last edited:

Jokester

I ended up buying the x950h from Costco a month or two ago and have zero complaints. Picture is amazing. Would recommend it. It was allot of head scratching deciding on which TV to buy.

Dwayne

I ended up buying the x950h from Costco a month or two ago and have zero complaints. Picture is amazing. Would recommend it. It was allot of head scratching deciding on which TV to buy.

This :) so many stuffs!

I try and do my due diligence when making a major purchase, but the choices, prices, technologies, and what not are getting more numerous every year. A lot of reviews and review sites help but I feel first hand user feedback from a trusted source counts even more.

Prickly007

I'm not stuck in a 27 degree bedroom...unlike my Sammy Plasma that could heat a small Swedish village

My Samsung must be defective, it only raises the room temp to ~75F. Doubt it could even heat a small outpost. :p

I'm not sure how much you'd be gaining either outside of 4K/HDR support from a picture quality standpoint.

That was my conclusion the last time I looked into things. Like Dwayne said though, it's good to have one's conclusions validated.

mGz

65" A8H owner here with no regrets. I ended up replacing an old 46" Sony Bravia from 2008 so naturally I was in awe when I started watching videos that showcased what the set was capable of. Jacob + Katie Schwarz on youtube in case you're curious. They have the best videos for benching your newly acquired TV.

I don't own any consoles so the LG CX was never in contention. Sony's target audience for their higher end televisions are mostly cinephiles anyway and besides, Sony's processing gives it the edge for me personally. It's true what they say: once you get an OLED it becomes very hard to tolerate content on inferior panels afterwards. I can't look at my AW3418DW (IPS) the same anymore - which is why when LG releases their upcoming 42" OLED's I'll be making the switch for PC as well.

If you have a controlled light environment you SHOULD get an oled over the alternative. Samsung QLED sets don't support DV either which is no bueno..

Latest posts