What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Lower budget for laptop purchase - i3 ?

djbrad

Is the hdmi 1.4b a typo? I expected 2.0 by now. Really a great deal that one. Nice find.

Last edited:

Lysrin

I know you said there probably wasn't any room to up the budget, but this looks like a smoking hot deal @ $680 + tax....

Thanks for that! Looks like they are coming up temp unavailable now... and when I follow the RFD links I am getting Intel versions, not AMD...?

EDIT: I think I might have found it by roaming around a bit more.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Thanks for that! Looks like they are coming up temp unavailable now... and when I follow the RFD links I am getting Intel versions, not AMD...?

EDIT: I think I might have found it by roaming around a bit more.
Reporting out of stock, at least for the 14", when you get to checkout. Bummer.

sswilson

Staff member
Ah well, pity.

If you're still shopping, it's well worth keeping an eye on RFD to see if any more deals show up.

Lysrin

Ah well, pity.

If you're still shopping, it's well worth keeping an eye on RFD to see if any more deals show up.
There's another person now I'm also looking for, bit higher budget, but that 15" version, I think, only has a TN panel. I know how we generally feel about TN monitors, but any opinion on them in laptops; should I consider that an automatic no-go?

The old laptop this other person is currently using would likely only have a TN panel now so they likely wouldn't notice the difference.

JD

Staff member
I would say TN panels vary by brand/laptop, so hard to say "yes" or "no". Likely good enough for most though as generally you're sitting directly in front of the screen, so off-angle viewing angles aren't typically an issue.

On2wheels

Why is shopping for an inexpensive laptop so exhausting. I have basic needs: 8gb ram, 240-256gb ssd, Win10 (not S), an HDMI port for livingroom tv connection (game streaming via Steam and Geforce Now). Can't decide between a refurb Dell or a brand new Inspiron 15 3000 (though I'd need an ethernet convertor and have no experience with them). Any suggestions are most welcome.

Lysrin

My niece's purchase that was the initiator for me starting this thread ended up being a Dell Inspiron that iirc ended up being in the $600 range without taxes. She's happy with it, focus was doing university papers, consuming content, etc. but she doesn't game on it.

Other folks I was helping decided to up their budget and went with Lenovo models. Again, non-gamers, but pleased with their purchases.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
My niece's purchase that was the initiator for me starting this thread ended up being a Dell Inspiron that iirc ended up being in the $600 range without taxes. She's happy with it, focus was doing university papers, consuming content, etc. but she doesn't game on it.

Other folks I was helping decided to up their budget and went with Lenovo models. Again, non-gamers, but pleased with their purchases.
good to hear! :)