What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Good laptop for 3d scanning and 3d graphic

FraQles

I faced the situation that I would need a laptop during my business trips but this type of computer is really new an confusing for me.
Right now I work with 3d graphic on my desktop.I 3d scan stuff and process it as well as just 3d model some other stuff.
Here's specifications of my current desktop:
I7 8700k
GTX 1070ti (Probably will replace it with a good RTX soon)
Asrock Z390 PRO4,32 gb ram
512 gb SSD + 2tb HDD + 2*1Tb external HDDs to store projects.
All my software works well with this set, so I think that laptop should have something similar if possible, I've heard that laptops are weaker comparing to desktops.

I use win 10 and I'd like to stay with it. It is possible to buy a laptop with ready to go windows on it, right?

Software I use:
Blender
Zbrush
Substance Painter + Designer
Artec Studio + 3d scanner Artec Space Spider
Marmoset Toolbag

I definetly need to run Artec Studio + scanner and Zbrush. All other stuff can theoretically be done at home later, but it would be grate to have a mobile computer that can handle all I need. It would be great to be able to use it for gaming from time to time, but I'm aware that if PC can handle mu work software it can handle games.
I'm not in a rush as I have time till summer but I prefer to choose, buy and test any hardware or software not in the very last moment.

Thank you for all your help in advance. If any other information needed, just let me know.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
what have you budgeted for this? you could get away with a relatively inexpensive entry level gaming notebook that has something like a GTX 1660 Ti. but if your budget is big enough, take a look at the new ThinkPad T15g. these come loaded with an RTX 2070 or 2080 and start at about $2700 or so, I think.

FraQles

Since the OP is using Blender, wouldn't a Ryzen based laptop be a better choice?
I know that Artec studio doesn't work good with Ryzen. It prefer Intel+AMD.

Are you doing 3d rendering as well or just modeling? Does it have to be a laptop?

Modeling. I also use Marmoset for rendering. I't real time and doesn't consume a lot of machine time. And I use this renders as a preview. My job is to create good models, not good renders.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I know that Artec studio doesn't work good with Ryzen. It prefer Intel+AMD.

Modeling. I also use Marmoset for rendering. I't real time and doesn't consume a lot of machine time. And I use this renders as a preview. My job is to create good models, not good renders.

What is your budget?
And if you're not going to game on it while away something with a Quadro in it would probably be more idea.

-ST

Openairparty

Well, according to the technical specifications on your 3D scanner, as well as knowing that most 3D software successfully runs on an average i7, any gaming graphics card, and 16GB of RAM, I think it is possible to fit into the budget 1500 CAD.
Bestbuy site offers prices from 1249 CAD and up (I filtered SSD slot also)

Latest posts