What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

mATX mobo suggestions to match to my 5600X?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
After many Gigabyte motherboards over the years, I'd pick an Asus or MSI every time. The extra $20-30 it will save you in heartache will be worth every penny. The last really good one I had was a P35-DS3L, I regretted every one I bought after that. GPU's are a totally different story, I'd buy another GB one any day.

djbrad

I wanted to try the B550 itx from MSI for my next build, but they put a fan on the chipset. :( Ah, those Athlon xp days.

Ryzen 5000 on B450, my opinion is that it's still too soon (beta).

How about the ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS ?

189$, 7 usb port at the back, only hdmi / dp (no dvi / vga), and the 2x m.2, bios flasback

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
While I like how my AOROUS Xtreme X570 looks, the BIOS surely hasn't lived up. Gigabyte also seems to be one of the slowest with AGESA updates. I think I probably have USB 2.0 port issues like other people have mentioned as my mouse/keyboard are plugged in there and seem to miss clicks and keystrokes at times.

I'm not a huge fan of MSI's UEFI layout, but I have a B550 Tomahawk as well. Board has been stable though.

ASUS was always my go to with Intel. All my AMD systems I've tried other boards (ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI), so I can't speak for ASUS w/ AMD, but it seems most people are happy with them.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Warning. Look at the egg reviews. Not stable with USB 3 issues.
well, the USB issues seem to be mostly remedied after the BIOS F11k was released. but the issue is on AMD's shoulder as it's not a board fault...there are issues with USB on Asus and MSI boards as well apparently.

boards with lots of USB ports seem to be the most affected...especially those that have rows of 4 USB ports like the B550M Aorus Pro-P.

the TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS is the other top contender. and while I said I'm manufacturer agnostic, I have read that MSI's BIOS and software packages are horrendous compared to everyone else.

I'm quite fond of Asrock and the B550M Steel Legend gives me pretty much everything I'm after. However...I hear Asrock's BIOS leaves much to be desired as well. :p

I've only had one Gb board from waaaay back in the Athlon XP days. it was a horrible board, but that wasn't Gb fault as much as the VIA chipset it used. BLECH!

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I wanted to try the B550 itx from MSI for my next build, but they put a fan on the chipset. :( Ah, those Athlon xp days.

Ryzen 5000 on B450, my opinion is that it's still too soon (beta).

How about the ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS ?

189$, 7 usb port at the back, only hdmi / dp (no dvi / vga), and the 2x m.2, bios flasback

This board doesn't have wifi, not sure if that's a requirement for Mr. Friendly. There is a (Wifi) version available, it's $209.

Marzipan

This board doesn't have wifi, not sure if that's a requirement for Mr. Friendly. There is a (Wifi) version available, it's $209.
wifi isn't mandatory...just a 'nice' if it fits the budget and doesn't sacrifice anything. that said, the TUF Gaming B550M Plus boards have 4 USB in a row. also...I had a brain fart. the other fix for the USB issue is to turn off USB C-State in the BIOS so the ports can n ever go to sleep. hmmm...maybe the Gb board is still a contender! ;)

JD

Staff member
However...I hear Asrock's BIOS leaves much to be desired as well. :p
Yeah, I have 2 B450M Pro4s, the layout is atrocious and a lot of duplication, though that's mostly AMD's doing. The benefit is that ASRock doesn't seem to hide/restrict anything, seemingly every feature that AMD offers is exposed. It was the only brand that I could find with SR-IOV exposed, which I use on my X520-DA2 NICs to pass into my VMs. Whether it helps performance is debatable for what I do, but why not!

djbrad

I back JD, Asrock bios is not polished, but more opened / exposed.

I had to google how to enable some obscure specific things, but it was there, very deep in the menus.

The Asrock B550M Steel Legend look solid, but miss the bios flashback if you need it.

Marzipan

I back JD, Asrock bios is not polished, but more opened / exposed.

I had to google how to enable some obscure specific things, but it was there, very deep in the menus.

The Asrock B550M Steel Legend look solid, but miss the bios flashback if you need it.
true. it has clear CMOS...but not flashback like the others.

sure would be nice if there were A520 boards with dual M.2 NVMe SSD support.

djbrad

The chipset only support 1 x nvme 4x mode :(

Meanwhile, A520 also supports a couple of different configuration options with the 4 high-speed storage lanes coming from the host CPU. This includes building a full-fledged PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 slot, two PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 slots, or a PCIe 3.0 x2 M.2 slot with two additional SATA ports.

That reference