What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

FreeKnight

I needed to buy razor blades, and decided enough is enough with the cost. I have friends that have been using double edge razors (aka de or safety razors) for a while, so I am jumping onboard and giving it a shot. Fingers crossed it works out.

Ordered Edwin Jagger DE89 and a 100 blade sampler pack of various “top” selling blades.

I used to shave with a straight razor, tried safety razors and last used a gilette fusion.

The safety razor was my least favorite to be honest. The size of the head kept it from being as nimble as a gilette or a straight razor and I struggled with spots like just under the nose or around the edges of your mouth. It's certainly faster than a straight razor, but not quite as convenient as a disposable.

Of course shaving is very much a YRMV thing, so if it works out for you all the better. You certainly can't beat the blade cost on a safety razor.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
you would not believe how steep the learning curve is on using DE razors! I have a Merkel 30C and use Feathertouch blades (which, btw, no matter the color or shape of the packaging or price, all have the same blade. Ft only makes one blade).

one thing I recommend is looking up how aggressive a particular blade is in it's shave before using it. part of my learning curve was a lot of razor burn and infections as I have baby skin on my face, which is why I have an epic beard / mustache now. I only shave my neck...

mGz

Been using a Merkur 38C Barber Pole razor for a couple years now (using feathers exclusively) and my sensitive skin appreciates it. One day I'll grow the stones to learn straight razor shaving.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Been using a DE razor for a couple years now (using feathers exclusively) and my sensitive skins appreciates it. One day I'll grow the stones to learn straight razor shaving.

When its all you've ever used , you get used to it. My dad bought me a whole kit when I signed up for the Army, and I've used it my whole life since.

That being said, fast forward to now and my wife prefers facial hair, so I only use it on the borders, and a trimmer to keep my hair looking as neat as possible.

-ST

Reactions: mGz

Marzipan

One thing I found is cleaning any time of blade properly makes them last a whole lot longer. And I don't mean just rising in water. I got one of these years ago https://www.amazon.ca/Braun-790cc-4-Electric-Station-Cordless/dp/B003YJAZZ4 and the blades/foil have lasted longer than any other razer i have used over the years between replacements. I don't buy the refills horribly overpriced but iso propyl + additive works the same.

I know a few people who started cleaning even their disposables by soaking them in isopropyl with good results.

That being said I ordered a single blade razor not long ago and just waiting for it to show up as I wanted to try one.
SB is so expensive compared to DE!

Entz

you would not believe how steep the learning curve is on using DE razors! I have a Merkel 30C and use Feathertouch blades (which, btw, no matter the color or shape of the packaging or price, all have the same blade. Ft only makes one blade).

one thing I recommend is looking up how aggressive a particular blade is in it's shave before using it. part of my learning curve was a lot of razor burn and infections as I have baby skin on my face, which is why I have an epic beard / mustache now. I only shave my neck...
Something I recently learned is Razors also have aggressiveness as well. Related to how much of the blade that extends&gap. Something like a 34C is a mild even with feathers. 30C is in the same category I believe. Talking a 3/10 (where 10/10 would be basically SE)

Soap makes a huge difference. Recently gone down the Topofthechain artisan rabbithole (previously using Rocky mountain barber which is decent but /r/WickedEdge is a bad influence).

Edit: Its https://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/ needs underscore.

Last edited:

crazyea

When I was younger I worried more about shaving. Now I just use my Oster Classic 76. #2 guard on my head and goatee, and 000 blade on the rest of my face.

Marzipan

Something I recently learned is Razors also have aggressiveness as well. Related to how much of the blade that extends&gap. Something like a 34C is a mild even with feathers. 30C is in the same category I believe. Talking a 3/10 (where 10/10 would be basically SE)
yup. open comb razors are also very aggressive, amongst the highest. that said, aggressive doesn't mean bad...it means you will get a very close shave, if done right.

Latest posts