What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Gateway FX6000x Series Stealth Build

Hewfil1

Well, I haven't touched the forums since about 2018, and figured it's time I make a comeback.
So, after a long time of running sub-par hardware, and much time saving money every chance I can get (it took longer than expected due to health issues), I'm finally investing myself in a proper build

My build isn't "amazing" by any means. But this is my current lovechild I'm slowly working on.

Years ago I acquired a gateway FX6000 Series case from a family member, for free, with no motherboard, only the wiring and drive bays.
1614467093108.png1614467119268.png1614467141010.png

My current plan is to do a "stealth" build, as best I can.
The components going into the build will be a ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (Wi-Fi) motherboard
1614467244027.png
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB DDR4 RAM (One not pictured, waiting on delivery.)
1614467334073.png
The ADATA SU630 240GB SSD is intended for use as a host for the OS and other programs I plan to use quite often.

My GPU (not pictured as it is in my current machine), is an EVGA GTX 1080Ti Hybrid SC2.

I'll also be running a custom printed 3D housing (not pictured as still in the design phase), holding my two Noctua chromax.black.swap fans where the mesh is on the side panel of the original case.
1614467493262.png1614467520750.png

Now this leaves me with a few questions regarding CPUs and onboard SSDs.
The mobo is capable of handling two NVMe SSDs, and is compatible with all recent Ryzen processors. I'm not try to spend top dollar, as this is a rig that'll be used for just gaming and occasional video/photo editing. I have a couple ideas in mind as far as those go, but was wondering if anybody had any suggestions that would better suit my needs.

Many thanks and happy building,
Hewfil1

Soultribunal

Staff member
Oh I love stealth builds!
My friend has a cool one in an old Beige Gateway Case.

For SSD's, I would opt for the SN750 from WD, they seem to be a good balance for NVME Drives. You can spend more and get those newer drives that can fully harness PCI-E 4.0 lanes, but I think the WD ones will suit your needs well, considering the usage of the PC.

Welcome back, BTW.

-ST

JD

Staff member
I would give a nod towards Crucial P5 if you are looking more at the affordable end.

Latest posts