What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

lowfat

Staff member
Decided to reinstall Windows yesterday. Was doing a non-standard install where with the Users folder (and thus appdata) is on a 3 drive ioDrive2 software RAID. Surprisingly that went well.

I use linux subsystem on Windows to manage all my ESP8266/ESP32s that I use for home automation. I install Ubuntu and WSL2. Install the apps I need and copy over my config files. And I try to compile FW for one of the devices and do an OTA flash. Which I've done 50+ times w/o issue.... Says it flashes fine. But it isn't connecting to network.

Carry the big ikea lamp where its connected to my desk and connect the esp up to desktop. Thankfully I actually had a serial header soldered to this board.

Code:
B][0;33m[W][wifi_esp8266:441]: Event: Disconnected ssid='NoLulz' reason='Probe Request Unsuccessful'[1B][0m
[1B][0;33m[W][wifi:485]: Error while connecting to network.[1B][0m
[1B][0;33m[W][wifi:522]: Restarting WiFi adapter...[1B][0m
[1B][0;36m[D][wifi:324]: Starting scan...[1B][0m

Ok I'll try flashing it again. O cool I broke off the reset button, which is required to put it in to flashing mode. Able to get it in to flashing mode w/ tweezers. Flash again. Same thing. Roll back Esphome software, flash again. Same issue. Tried 2 other versions of Esphome. No change. I have one other of these ESP boards. So I quickly solder a serial header to it and flash it. Same issue.

I know I also had Esphome installed on my linux server that I've used when my desktop was down. I only used it for OTA flashing tho. So I compile FW on server. Copy FW to desktop and flash device....And it works.

Guess I'll just have to stop using linux on windows. Even tho its a lot more convenient. Don't want to waste another couple of hours trying to get a damn light online again.

gingerbee

damn friendly really sorry to hear that and I fully understand unbearable pain stuck with it too I hope you feel better soon

So I have a whole new thing I can't explain but the internet is kinda working again for some reason youtube is super slow like unusable slow so I tried it with my VPN on and for some reason it works just fine with the VPN up and running

Izerous

Folding Team
Neighbours (Office condo not home) moved out of their office summer/fall. Had to listen to a commerical shredding truck for 7 hours. Well it seems like neither they or their relator bothered to check the thermostat before winter. The -40c followed by warm weather then freezing and warm again resulted in a pipe burying in their unit and leaching through the common wall soaking our unit. Might need to tear everything down to the studs.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Heh, yeah, I'm the opposite, I have Bell for Gigabit Fiber and have Rogers (well Start) 15Mbps as "backup". Thankfully I've had no Fiber outages though, so I'm not sure if I really need the Cable backup anymore, but still peace of mind with this whole work-from-home setup. It does cost a lot of money though I did buy some Bell stock since I hear they pay decent dividends :)

I opted for LTE Backup to my fiber (actual fiber). And I had to use it twice so far when not 1, but two errant drivers took out the box at the end of the street. Allowed the household to continue working at home (abiet at a reduced rate).

-ST

Arinoth

Staff member
I've never really had that many Fiber outages with Bell's Fibre to the Home the years I've had it off and on out East, a hell of a lot better/more reliable then the 1 year I had Eastlink where I had to reboot the router/modem monthly, even with replacements by them.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, the bell atlantic Fibe service has been rock solid for me in the 5+ years I've had it. Very few outages, and the ones I did have were related to full regional outages as opposed to something relating to local infrastructure.

Pretty sure my current "deal" term is a couple of years so that will give the rogers' ignite infrastructure some time to mature. That said... my understanding is that the rogers infrastructure isn't FTTH which is concerning for me as I don't believe the existing coax lines have been updated and they were crap 5 years ago.

FreeKnight

Neighbours (Office condo not home) moved out of their office summer/fall. Had to listen to a commerical shredding truck for 7 hours. Well it seems like neither they or their relator bothered to check the thermostat before winter. The -40c followed by warm weather then freezing and warm again resulted in a pipe burying in their unit and leaching through the common wall soaking our unit. Might need to tear everything down to the studs.
Well that sucks. Even if it's not at your work it's going to be a long and noisy repair most likely

Izerous

Folding Team
Well that sucks. Even if it's not at your work it's going to be a long and noisy repair most likely
Our unit might need to come down to the studs as well waiting to hear from the adjusters etc as to how far this is going to go. Their leak happened on the second floor our unit doesn't have a second floor just super high ceiling instead. But i know the inspector said all the drywall was wet etc. Carpet is for sure ruined, mold etc is going to be a serious potential problem in our unit as well.