What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

lowfat's printer designing / building thread.

lowfat

Staff member
Finally going to start working on my 'new' big printer. Still very much in design faze. Frame is 3030 aluminum extrusion. Build volume around 300x300x450mm. CoreXY.

Hardware:
Hotend - Triangle Labs Dragon High Flow
Extruder - Oribiter w/ LDO NEMA15 stepper
Control Board - Duet 2 Wifi + Rasp Pi 3B running Klipper
Heated Bed -1/4" MIC6 cast aluminum + 600W AC silcion heater + PEI
X Motion - Generic MGN9H linear rail + carbon fibre tube
Y Motion - Generic MGN12H on the 3030 extrusions.
Z Motion - 12mm linear rods + TR10 lead screws w/ 3:1 gearing
Steppers - X/Y are 0.9 degree NEMA17 and Z will just be a cheap 1.8 degree NEMA17.
Fans - NMB 5020 radial for part cooling. Sunon 30mm for hot end.
Mesh Levelling - removable BFPTouch
Belts & Pulleys will likely be Gates 2GT.

Worked on the carriage over the last 1.5 days. Wanted to have the least amount of leverage possible for less resonance / faster printing. The mesh sensor will be removed generally. The carbon fibre tube idea is from Vez3D's printer. The actual hotend mounting isn't done since I can't find out what mounting holes it has until it arrives. Like my Sunon 5020 radials, the NMB pulls from both sides. So the hotend heatsink sorta gets some push pull action.

KjtbdIn.jpg

PlKVRum.jpg

zs4Bu5U.jpg

8FxJnEH.jpg

AiN2nDR.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
Sweet, someone else (thats experienced) with a dragon hotend!
Did you use the direct mount or the circular adapter to mount?

Spend the day working on the electronics enclosure. Got to the point where any changes would take F360 like a minute to think. There are probably close to 2000 chamfers :rolleyes:.
6.JPG

Capture.JPG

I wonder if this will actually print. Pretty close to 200 bridges. Not going to even attempt until I get the mesh leveling working on my current printer.
7.JPG

New extruder showed up today. Man is it ever tiny.
20210430_121602 (Large).jpg20210430_121610 (Large).jpg

lowfat

Staff member
Got thinking today about dual extrusion. I have an E3D Chimera sitting in my drawer for like 4 years. But it really isn't a great solution due to leakage. The optimal setup is either toolchangers or having independent carriages so one extruder can park when not in use.

There are lots of printers out there that can do this. But for some reason they all share the same X axis. https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?397,737863

So any motion in the Y and both carriages have to move. So twice the moving mass. I can't find a single printer out there that uses 2 completely independent carriages.

Did a quick model and I can't think of why it wouldn't work. It would just be 2 CoreXYs in 1 but that share the same Y linear rails. Only downside I can see is the extra space required for the 2nd carriage. I think I can manage to design it. Just need to find out of any FW supports it. Each colour below is a different belt. The 2 spots where the belts cross, the belts would flip so the backs of each belt would be against each other.

m5tw6gz.jpg

wpqan2S.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
I installed mine with 4 screws on my custom mount, not the round swivel one. That extruder is pretty neat, is it better than the bmg? I'm trying to make a new design to incorporate the bmg to my metal mount sugar cnc'd for me but im having a hard time.. might try this one!

That core xy looks really complicated man, i suppose there has to be major benefits compared to the ender 5 setup?

2 tools, every man's dream lol...🥴
It should perform about the same but it weights less due to the tiny motor. Only 147g for the whole extruder. Less moving mass = faster printing / less ringing.

CoreXY has less moving mass as the X and Y motors are both stationary. So that is another 150g or so lighter.

But 2 tools is old news. I've since ditched that idea. I'm building a tool changer. I've already ordered the parts for it. My printer won't be the same as the one in the vid. I already have most parts and they aren't compatible. And it has a lot of custom really expensive parts. But I'll be fitting the tool changing setup to mine.

I'm going with 3 tools. I'll be doing a Dragon / Oribiter for one. Probably a Volcano / Titan for another. Then a mill. With a mill you could over extrude you parts to get much better strength. Then you go over the part with the mill to clean it up to perfect spec. So you get near injection molded quality and finish. The tool changer I'm using is compatible w/ the E3D. Just doesn't have the fancy aluminum parts and doesn't carry the $3800 price tag.

sswilson

Staff member
That's adding a whole new level of complexity over standard additive layer printing.... Both the bed and the head appear to be doing height adjustments simultaneously?

lowfat

Staff member
That's adding a whole new level of complexity over standard additive layer printing.... Both the bed and the head appear to be doing height adjustments simultaneously?
It would be just the bed. Think its just the way the camera is mounted that makes it appear like the mill is moving up/down.

I believe SuperSlicer supports the mill. I see the option but obviously I've never used it.

Latest posts