What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

crazyea

Hopefully mining Chia will bring you a good return on your investment. That or may you enjoy many media files. Lol

I just sold 5x16tb and then learned about chia after. Didn’t even get a chance to try it first.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Hopefully mining Chia will bring you a good return on your investment. That or may you enjoy many media files. Lol

I just sold 5x16tb and then learned about chia after. Didn’t even get a chance to try it first.

I feel like everything I am reading shows Chia killing hardware fast. So hardly environmentally friendly as it is portrayed. Gotta factor in now all that e-waste, and the energy and crap it took to produce it.

I don't think it's worth it TBH but we'll see.

-ST

crazyea

I feel like everything I am reading shows Chia killing hardware fast. So hardly environmentally friendly as it is portrayed. Gotta factor in now all that e-waste, and the energy and crap it took to produce it.

-ST

Plus, isn't it kind of like a lottery? One day you could make a bunch, maybe the next while nothing? I tried to understand it, but I think I'd just rather have some money in the bank.

If I could only have a time machine to go back and get some dogecoin. lol

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Plus, isn't it kind of like a lottery? One day you could make a bunch, maybe the next while nothing? I tried to understand it, but I think I'd just rather have some money in the bank.

If I could only have a time machine to go back and get some dogecoin. lol
Not kinda a lottery. Literally a lottery.

lowfat

Staff member

-ST
Only hard on plotting SSD. If you have something like a server SSD it won't fail. My drives have a write lifetime of 20PB. It would be nearly impossible for me to wear the drives down w/ Chia.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Only hard on plotting SSD. If you have something like a server SSD it won't fail. My drives have a write lifetime of 20PB. It would be nearly impossible for me to wear the drives down w/ Chia.

We have server SSD's (Enterprise) here. At what point though do you get your ROI back on something that is literally a lottery though.
It's right now, not something I can see as being advisable to do until they work a better system for it.

IMO though. Everyone sees things differently.

-ST

crazyea

The problem with this is that the more drives you have, the more space you have, it increases your chances. Even if slightly. So this is bad news for anyone wanting hard drives in the coming months. There are already back orders starting on a lot of the more popular drives. The guy I sold my Unraid server was literally begging me for drives because he's building a Chia server, but I had already sold them here.

sswilson

Staff member
GTX1650 is about equal to a GTX970, right?

Looks to be pretty close, with a slight edge going to the 1650, but I suspect this version of the 1650 with GDDR6 might be close to neck and neck.

Biggest benefit to the 1650 over the 970 would be memory (pretty sure the 970 was 3GB?) and newer port versions (the 1650 should be able to do 4K@60hz over HDMI while the 970 would only be able to do 30hz).

Latest posts