What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Creating custom PSU cables for SF750

FreeKnight

Considering ditching my O11 Mini and going back to my Ncase now that I've got a NAS and don't need local HDDs. One problem I noticed was that there's a lot of cable to 'stuff' inside an M1 with the factory or the corsair braided cables. Cablemod custom is an option, but it gets expensive fast.

I know DIY custom cables are a thing, but I'm not sure how you go about getting the connectors for the PSU to cable connection. It seems like there's some variation between PSUs so it's not like I can just grab any 24 pin and be certain it'll fit into the corsair. I know there's connectors available at mainframe custom, but how do I know the connector will fit my SF750 (say this one for example; https://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/connectors/24pin-female-connector/)

My other option is to buy another SF cable kit and trim it to length. I'm assuming it's possible, but keeping the cable ends might be a harder job (https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/SF-Series™-Premium-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cable-Kit---Black/p/CP-8920202).

Should I just buy and try to shorten the corsair set, or is it better trying to start from scratch? I can always buy extra connector types to cover the chance that one connector won't fit in the PSU necessarily

lowfat

Staff member
You want sleeved cables? Shortening cables w/ sleeve on them already will be a nightmare.

I think all manufacturers use the same keying for the connectors. Just the number of pins and their locations changes.

Making sleeved cables from scratch is a lot of work. You will need a decent crimping tool. Lots of clear heatshrink. Can get a away w/ a lighter. I'd highly suggest zipties for each wire to stretch the sleeving over the wire to save your hands.

FreeKnight

Damn, I was hoping shortening already sleeved cables would be an easier option.

Thanks for the guide lowfat, it's pretty helpful. Any recommended supplier for Canadians, or stick with mainframe?

Entz

If your going to get another kit to shorten. Xtia has a short set available as I am sure others do as well (Cablemods etc)

shipping is more than the cables though :cry:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
iv used cable mod for my ncase m1 builds and ps-slate but they are super backed up worse then cable mod is atm. im planning a new ncase build with that ali exspress block and res. with the 5900x that will soon be free from my current build. what would you guys say is a better pump as im lost in this D5 or that DDC, seems it has option of changing out from a 3.3v or 5v?

lowfat

Staff member
Wire I buy from Princess Auto. I generally wait till its on sale. But it isn't on sale currently.

I buy everything else from MDPC-X in Germany. I like their sleeving better than other brands and pricing isn't bad.

FreeKnight

Looking at pulling my first order with Mainframe. Does this list seem about right for a 24 pin MB, 8 Pin MB, 3x 8 pin PCIe, SATA and some I/O connectors?

If anyone has a recomendation for a cutter/ratchet crimper other than mainframe that'd be appreciated too as they've been out of stock for a long time.
PSU1.PNG
PSU2.PNG
PSU3.PNG