What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Omg halp

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, that looks more than sufficient @Shadowarez

Again, its not electrically conductive, those pins are clean enough and will make contact in the socket, and there is zero risk of voltage going somewhere it shouldnt.

Izerous

Folding Team
That actually looks really good now i'm glad it appears to have worked for you. I did drop a CPU once while removing it, i was teaching a friend on assembly, disassembly, how to check coverage etc and he bumped me. Landed upside down in the socket and it was AS5 which is electrically conductive so in the garbage it went (like 15 years ago).

I always clean the CPU before de-socketing it now regaurdless of paste.

Soultribunal

Staff member
That actually looks really good now i'm glad it appears to have worked for you. I did drop a CPU once while removing it, i was teaching a friend on assembly, disassembly, how to check coverage etc and he bumped me. Landed upside down in the socket and it was AS5 which is electrically conductive so in the garbage it went (like 15 years ago).

I always clean the CPU before de-socketing it now regaurdless of paste.

I'm the same, the AM3 810 that I nuked was because I was cleaning it in my hands instead of in the Motherboard. That was...a costly mistake.

-ST

Shadowmeph

I am glad its cleaned up
I thought that was chewing gum hehe I would have used a needle to hopefully slowly pull it off ( if it was like chewing gum texture) then grad some very diluted rubbing alcohol just deep enough for the ended of the pins soaked un place it on a paper tower in hopes the leftovers would stick to that then finally very soft tooth brush but my hands are not to steady I probable might have bent pins which I have dont in the paste years ago

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i was worried the pins would be lik intels brittle straw >< amds is far more dense i brushed them didnt budge a nm

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
i was worried the pins would be lik intels brittle straw >< amds is far more dense i brused they didnt budge a nm

Wasn't always that way though , intel switched (God I wish I could remember when) from Pins on the CPU to pins on the socket instead. I've always preferred the way AMD does it, as I too have bent pins in my time.

-ST

crazyea

Wasn't always that way though , intel switched (God I wish I could remember when) from Pins on the CPU to pins on the socket instead. I've always preferred the way AMD does it, as I too have bent pins in my time.

-ST

My first board with pins was a Nvidia n-force board. From what I found it looks like the "Land Grid Array" started with socket LGA775 on the Pentium 4 in 2004.

Soultribunal

Staff member
My first board with pins was a Nvidia n-force board. From what I found it looks like the "Land Grid Array" started with socket LGA775 on the Pentium 4 in 2004.

Yeah that sounds about right TBH.
I actually posted somewhere else on here my original Pentium 1 (200 w/MMX) !!! and it was using the Pin on CPU style, I just couldn't recall when it switched around. I've worked with it, but in all the builds I've done, I still prefer AMD's way.

-ST

Latest posts