What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Folding with Ubuntu?

Infiniti

I was just wondering if its possible to fold in Ubuntu. I dug up a couple of old rigs lying around and wanted to use them to fold. From what I've experienced, its hard to install things in Ubuntu, at least for me, so can anyone post a step-by-step guide to installing the folding client on Ubuntu?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
You sure can, I used to do it before the GPU folding came of age; actually the effort needed to setup and control a folding Linux is not worth the ppd - especially since the GPU folding is giving such high ppd.

You could setup a GPU folding under Linux though, using nVidia cards, I think.

Here's a crib sheet straight from an old friend of mine, pscout. The links may not be up to date, but the basis is there.

My crib sheet for setting up a new ubuntu:

1. install ubuntu 7.04 at stock or known stable oc speeds. I usually install all the updates available before I continue and this will need a reboot. While it is downloading/installing, I often do some of the customizations below that don't require software installs (except for changing dhcp-static of course which will interrupt downloads).

2. add the userid you created to the root group.
- system->administration->users and groups, click on manage groups, select root and click on properties.
I select both my id (pete) and root ... not sure if i need to add root here (security exposure?) but it has been working for me

3. i don't like to use dhcp so i setup a static ip for my network (192.168.0.xxx) point it to my gateway (192.168.02.) and point my dsn at my gateway. Your network hardware/preferences may be different. It is best to avoid dhcp with the current beta SMP clients.

4. i like my dedicated folding rigs to login automatically so
- system->admin->login window-> security , select the 'enable automatic login' and select my id (pete) from the drop down list.

5. after any ubuntu updates in 1 are done and rebooted, time to setup sharing which i use as a shortcut to setup folding and will use later for fahmon monitoring and debugging etc.
system->administration->shared folders
The first time you go down this path you will be prompted to download and install sharing software ... since my main rig is wxp, i leave samba selected and deselect nfs.
Once it downloads and install samba then you can continue ( no reboot necessary)
add your home folder and deselect 'read only' checkbox so you can copy to this from another machine - leave read only if you prefer since it is good enuf for fahmon.
I also select general properties and change the domainname to 'WORKGROUP' since this is my default domain on my WXP rigs. If you WXP home then i expect the default MSHOME is good for you.

now open a terminal window: applications->accessories->terminal
in the terminal window type : 'sudo smbpasswd -a pete' <- use your userid not mine!
and then you will have to enter your password once for the sudo override to authenticate you, and then twice more for the smbpasswd command.

You should now be able to share files with all your other rigs. For convenience i use the same userid and password on all my wxp and linux installs.

6. to install software monitoring for the hardware, in a terminal window type the following:
'sudo apt-get install lm sensors' ... you can also do this via synaptic software manger under system, admin but command line is faster for me.
just follow all its prompts and change the last question's answer about updating your system with the generated output from no to yes.
- then in a terminal window type 'sudo sensor-detect'
after this runs, you will need to reboot before the gkrellm display application can access them for display.
- terminal window ... 'sudo apt-get install gkrellm' to install the display app.
- once gkrellm is installed you can launch it from applications->system tools and you can play with it to set up the display and monitored components the way you like it.

7. now to install folding. since the linux client (not the cores) is a 32 bit app, you ned to install ia32-libs on any ubuntu level after 6.10 since it is not installed by default with the os.
- terminal window: 'sudo apt-get install ia32-libs' and hit enter to all the prompts. Alternatively install via gui with synaptic software manger if you prefer ... i find a command line easier/faster even for a lousy typist like me.

- for the rest of the folding install you will download the currnt linux 64 bit client for smp from stanford.folding.edu, downloads.

My shortcut here is i just copy the folding directory from another linux smp rig, delete the copied log files, work directory, queue.dat and machinedependant.dat files and i am ready to fold. I usually update the client.cfg directly with gedit and set local=0 so that my wu count in the logs is correct.

- i don't like the directory names used in the faq so i set up a pete/folding driectory (and sometimes a folding2 directory for 2 instances).

I do set up a fold shortcut to launch it with any switches as per the faq.

8. start folding!

LCB001

I was just wondering if its possible to fold in Ubuntu. I dug up a couple of old rigs lying around and wanted to use them to fold. From what I've experienced, its hard to install things in Ubuntu, at least for me, so can anyone post a step-by-step guide to installing the folding client on Ubuntu?

I know nothing about Ubuntu, but saw this [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides , hope it helps. I am sure others here will be able to help more...

Edit; As usual too slowww :blarg:...

Infiniti

You sure can, I used to do it before the GPU folding came of age; actually the effort needed to setup and control a folding Linux is not worth the ppd - especially since the GPU folding is giving such high ppd.

You could setup a GPU folding under Linux though, using nVidia cards, I think.

Here's a crib sheet straight from an old friend of mine, pscout. The links may not be up to date, but the basis is there.
Hmm.. I think the GPU in the system is Radeon 9550. Would that do much? Or is it not worth taking the time setting it up?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
That GPU is not supported by the client, too old. :biggrin: Use the SMP client, if they're dual core.

Infiniti

That GPU is not supported by the client, too old. :biggrin: Use the SMP client, if they're dual core.
Well, yeah.. That computer is about.. I think 4 years old. :haha:

But I still have this urge to fold..
Would this mobo: NCIX.com - Buy Intel BOXD945GCLF MINI-ITX 945GC Atom 230 1.6GHZ DDR2 1PCI SATA Video Sound LAN Motherboard Retail - BOXD945GCLF In Canada.
And a PCI card thats under 80$ be okay? I have about 200$ to use, but I have some extra power supplies around, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts