What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet teaming

timbruun

I have an Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard with the dual gigabit lan connections and I'm trying out a new ISP for a month too see if i like them better. But I am curious how to set up teaming on my motherboard so i can run both connections and get even faster. Or even if there is anything to change. Right now they are both plugged in and recognized but i haven't seen anything that tells me that it's teaming. Other than that i have multiple networks connected. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
Your cable/dsl modem is the bottleneck to your internet speed. You could have 4 adapters connected and not see a gain.

timbruun

i have 2 modems as of right now. one with telus dsl and the other with xplornet wireless. i live in a rural area so wireless has been my only option for a while. but now telus is offering their dsl to me so for a month i can test it out and see how close i get to the cap and speeds and what not.

Edit: and actually i've been trying to search around. but now i have another question. bridging... is that just taking the sigal from one and sending it out the other?
thanks

Last edited:

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
2 modems, awesome!

Bridging allows 2 networks with different ip domains to talk to each other. I'm not sure you will ever see a message saying they are teaming.

Go here:
Speakeasy - Speed Test

Pick a the server closest to you, run the speed tests with one, the other and then both cards connected. See if you are getting a boost.

timbruun

i'm not getting any boost. when they are both connected it takes the speed from the fastest network. although when downloading it noticed through connection status it seems to use the one connection for mostly uploading and the other for mostly downloading.. so there is a speed boost in the sense but not enough to merit paying for 2 bills

enaberif

but then what is it meaning when the motherboard does teaming with the two lan ports?

all it seems of what you are doing is allowing one network adapter to receive and the other network adapter to send.

this won't give you any real difference in speeds to the internet as the internet connection is still the bottleneck.

enaberif

yes but i have 2 internet connections both can upload and download as they please

well even so all you are doing is dedicating one adapter to one connection and the other adapter to the other card.

You aren't combining them to make things "faster"

That requires special hardware.

Latest posts