What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Advice needed! High-end monitor for home office

ryetgr

Hello,

My requirements are

1. Looking for a single monitor only, for a budget of about $2K
2. Main purpose is productivity/professional use. It can't look too Gamery (will be in a home office, do not want aggresive RGB etc)
3. My short list below is all ultra-wides, but only because I don't know much about current market/trends. I assumed for a single monitor at this budget it may be the best way to go. I may be wrong?
4. It doesn't have to be good at gaming, but hey, for this budget I could see things may lean that way naturally?
5. There will be no "photo editing" or special high-res content creation. Actually don't have anticipate watching a lot of movies either. This is more about performance for productivity, good picture and aesthetics etc.

My current short list is

1. LG 38WN95C-W --> My first choice ATM. Understand its weakpoints are contrast ratio, local dimming, hdmi 2.0, and drops to 8bit at 144. A little wobbly. But otherwise pretty grand.
2. Dell U3821DW/U4021QW --> Nothing seems to be too impressive on these specs, and brightness etc lower
3. Samsung Odyssey G9 LC49G95TSSNXZA --> Honestly looks a tad gamery, but if the quality issues are resolved this may be an alternative to the LG
4. Samsung Oddysey Neo G9 S49AG95NC --> This is being released in 2 days. Will very likely be way over my budget, but keeping an eye on it.
5. AW3821DW --> Looks a bit too gamery, but not sure if it's better than LG

Note I'm working under the assumption that ultra-wides are the way to go for this budget with a single monitor productivity requirement. Am I wrong?

Please let me know your thoughts! I've done a fair bit of research, but need to leverage community expertise!!

Is this LG the way?

Thanks!

ryetgr

Nice, good to hear. It looks beautiful.
I am now also considering a LG CX 10 48" with a Ergotron HX Monitor Arm! That may be a good investment.. ?

crazyea

Nice, good to hear. It looks beautiful.
I am now also considering a LG CX 10 48" with a Ergotron HX Monitor Arm! That may be a good investment.. ?
Do not buy an OLED for a pc if you care at all about burn in.

My friend has some just from playing Xbox, luckily he got it at Costco with extended warranty.

lowfat

Staff member
OLED is by far the best gaming display. But probably wouldn't buy one for productivity use, especially if you need a bright display.

crazyea

OLED is by far the best gaming display. But probably wouldn't buy one for productivity use, especially if you need a bright display.
Doesn't change the fact that they are prone to burn in. I'd go mini led personally.

If you go OLED make sure your warranty covers burn in. I think Best Buy does. Costco is hit or miss depending on the agent.

Izerous

Folding Team
Personally i prefer to work on 2 monitors over an ultra wide. I prefer the anchoring options and separation of focus. I can set reference material etc on one monitor keeping it separate from active work etc. Your workflow and tasks play a big roll in that though. A lot of video editing/sound creation and an untrawide allows for nicer timeline usage etc.

Last edited:

clshades

Perennially i prefer to work on 2 monitors over an ultra wide. I prefer the anchoring options and separation of focus. I can set reference material etc on one monitor keeping it separate from active work etc. Your workflow and tasks play a big roll in that though. A lot of video editing/sound creation and an untrawide allows for nicer timeline useage etc.
I agree. 2x 32" monitors gives a lot of needed desktop space and having things tied to one monitor or another really helps with focus. Spend less time messing about with window sizes etc.

When I'm Google searching for things while video editing or gaming it's in its own space not interfering with the main task(s).

Dell has some good options that don't look gamey. I'd go with 2x $1000 dollar monitors before a single 2k. I've always like the Asus monitors for gaming and work flow. Great colour on them imo.

Last edited:

ryetgr

I agree. 2x 32" monitors gives a lot of needed desktop space and having things tied to one monitor or another really helps with focus. Spend less time messing about with window sizes etc.

When I'm Google searching for things while video editing or gaming it's in its own space not interfering with the main task(s).

Dell has some good options that don't look gamey. I'd go with 2x $1000 dollar monitors before a single 2k. I've always like the Asus monitors for gaming and work flow. Great colour on them imo.

I appreciate the point of view on maximizing productivity for the budget.

For this specific use case I'll need to keep it to 1 monitor.

I am now seriously considering taking the plunge on the Odyssey Neo G9. I think it will be $2400USD. I was wondering if you guys think the 1000R curve is welcomed, and with the new brightness and HDMI 2.1 that it will probably be future-proofed and hold its value for the forseeable future. Since it's Samsung's second cut at this monitor, I could bet they put a lot of time in ironing out any quality issues.

I don't know, if budget wasn't an issue, would you guys accept this steep curved candidate? I think it's Samsung's 4th generation ultra-wide now.. it also boasts some improvements especially in peak brightness. I honestly don't think it looks too gamery, more modern than anything.

crazyea

I had a dell curved monitor before and didn’t like it at all. But everyone is different. You may love it.

Latest posts