What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Microsoft adds some clarification to Windows 11 hardware requirements

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

seems that the Secure Boot / TPM 2.0 requirement will only be enforced if you try to upgrade from Windows 10. if you create an ISO and install manually, you won't have any problems. they also added some more CPU to the approved list, but doubled down on no Zen 1 support at all. they say that doing tests on Zen 1 based systems, they had 52% higher kernel crashes and the minimum spec is .02% or better.

any thoughts on why Zen 1 would have so many issues???

gingerbee

Ya I am going to be pissed if I cant use zen 1 since I have my archive/wives/emergency pc all on zen 1 but hopefully, by that time they will have upgrades to their CPU's one can only hope, or that I can do a direct install and not have any of that BS I wonder what the kernel issues are all about.

I want to know whats has changed that is causing the kernel crashes

djbrad

Well, so much 7th intel cpus added :(

All my systems are out, even my 3 years old 2400g htpc.

djbrad

I will probably sell the old ones, buy some used ryzen 2+ cpu / parts in the next 4 years.

At least, I can upgrade my 2400g to the 5000 series later.

I don't care much about Windows 11, it's about the planned obsolescence that Microsoft do like apple.

ipaine

Don't forget official support for Win 10 doesn't end until 2025 so its not like you need to move to it now. I highly doubt I'll be upgrading any system except maybe my main one, although I'm not a huge fan of what I have seen so far.

sswilson

Staff member
Don't forget official support for Win 10 doesn't end until 2025 so its not like you need to move to it now. I highly doubt I'll be upgrading any system except maybe my main one, although I'm not a huge fan of what I have seen so far.

I'm of the same mind, but it doesn't sound to me like it's going to be a thumbs up or down option. It sounds to me like any compatible PC will probably get the "upgrade" in the same manner as we're currently getting major version upgrades in win 10.

I suspect windows 10 will be depreciated and we'll just be getting security updates until it's EOL.

gingerbee

Of course, we can rock win10 till 2025 but If I like win11 I would like to upgrade and not have to worry about the OS for years to come, that's my take on things