What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Thinking on replacing my 2nd HDD with a SSD

Ernimus Prime

Since I'm playing mainly games on my PC. I am thinking on replacing my 2nd drive. Which is a WD Black 4TB HDD. You can see my full specs in my signature. Wondering what. A good NVme SSD would be for my games and files. Maybe a 2TB size drive.

Ernimus Prime

I dont see your sig
ASUS TUF Gaming x570 plus wifi
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600
MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 OC
Adata Sx8200 Pro 1TB( Main)
4TB WD HDD Black
Phanteks Ethroo Pro tempered glass
Corsair RM750x Gold Plus
MSI mag274qrf‑qd (main),Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Samsung 9xx pro's or WD Blacks are the go-to high end SSD's

Any thing else you need to do research and ensure you're getting what you want. There have been a lot of silicone swaps on the mid and low range SSD lineups, so it can be very confusing what you're getting vs what you wanted to get.

Bond007

If you are only doing games and storage on the drive, then I don’t think a gen 4 drive is worth the added cost. Other than the initial transfer of files, it will be predominantly read focused use. That said, at 2TB sometimes there is a much smaller cost difference then at the 1TB and smaller level.

clshades

ASUS TUF Gaming x570 plus wifi
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600
MSI Ventus 3x RTX 3080 OCHard
Adata Sx8200 Pro 1TB( Main)
4TB WD HDD Black
Phanteks Ethroo Pro tempered glass
Corsair RM750x Gold Plus
MSI mag274qrf‑qd (main),Acer XG270HU 27.0" 144Hz
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
nice setup there. Typically its 1tb min for games. If you have alot of games then bigger?

Ernimus Prime

nice setup there. Typically its 1tb min for games. If you have alot of games then bigger?
The reason why I am looking at getting another NVme SSD is for Direct storage gaming. I know not all games will take advantage of the feature right away. And but my most played games on. I'll keep the 4TB HDD I have and use that for other files and folders and games that I don't care load super fast and don't play all the time.

Solace

Just do it, the load times over a few years for a heavy gamer justifies a few hundred $$$ if you are financially stable. Any NVMe PCI 3.0 drive or better will be more than enough speed wise. Aim for MLC/TLC nand, QLC has performance hits and much lower TBW. I'm pending a gen 4 price drop to offload the remaining sata drives I still use from years ago because that is even 10x the speed of 2 older sata ssd's in raid. Gaming will see diminishing returns on anything higher than sata, nvme pci 3.0 is probably the sweet spot to hit.

Lysrin

Latest posts