What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First upgrade since 2012

djbrad

Same comment as Sagat, why the 5600g instead of the 5700g?

As you will run vms, 8 cores was a no brainer. Saving some $ with a B550 motherboard and then going 5700g would have been a good plan.

The ram should be at least ddr4-3200, but 3600 can be had for almost the same price.

Changed my 6700k for a 5700g last month, no regret. The 5600g will be a good improvement anyway.

You may want to use the flashback button to update the bios before building, as the motherboard may come with an older revision not supporting the 5600g (did use that myself, thank god for that).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Same comment as Sagat, why the 5600g instead of the 5700g?

As you will run vms, 8 cores was a no brainer. Saving some $ with a B550 motherboard and then going 5700g would have been a good plan.

The ram should be at least ddr4-3200, but 3600 can be had for almost the same price.

Changed my 6700k for a 5700g last month, no regret. The 5600g will be a good improvement anyway.

You may want to use the flashback button to update the bios before building, as the motherboard may come with an older revision not supporting the 5600g (did use that myself, thank god for that).

Thats another good two points, B550 vs x570 if you dont need the PCIE lanes is totally legit, and 3600mhz CL16 ram would be better, especially given latency & speed will matter even more on the G series Zens.

antoninb

Thanks everyone. Great comments! I'd definitely thought about the 5700G, but given that my current CPU is 2012 era, and 4 cores generally works for me, I'm planning on at least starting with the 5600G. From a PSU perspective, I might go for a discrete video card down the road, once the market stabilizes. Also, I'll be running a few additional HDs and / or SSDs + a BD / DVD drive (one of the major reasons why I carefully chose my case). The memory I've chosen is 3200. From what I've read, higher speed memory doesn't provide much benefit unless I'm prepared to overclock the MB. But, I'm receptive to corrective information in that regard.

JD

Staff member
My understanding is the "G series" chips benefit greatly from higher speed RAM, and can overclock very easily. You should just have to load the XMP profile and possibly set FCLK=MCLK. I'd definitely go with at least 3600MHz RAM.

antoninb

BTW, does anyone have any comments about experiences ordering from NewEgg? Their prices seem competitive, and I like that they offer an extended warranty on parts at a price. Thanks.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
BTW, does anyone have any comments about experiences ordering from NewEgg? Their prices seem competitive, and I like that they offer an extended warranty on parts at a price. Thanks.
I try to stay away from them unless its a crazy good deal. They usually charge for shipping, are slow at shipping out, and their return process is a hassle. Most of the other major sellers have extended warranty on parts for a cost as well.

clshades

I try to stay away from them unless its a crazy good deal. They usually charge for shipping, are slow at shipping out, and their return process is a hassle. Most of the other major sellers have extended warranty on parts for a cost as well.

This shipping was a bit of a pain getting things throughout the week instead of all at once like Memx.

Bond007

Agree with the others. Newegg is fine if you find a good deal, but if the price is close I usually shop elsewhere.

Dwayne

I use PC Part Picker and usually buy from the lowest seller, shipping included. If the part might need returning I try and source it from Amazon due to their excellent return policy. I've bought and returned monitors through Amazon without issue.

I have used Newegg a few times, usually when their price is really good. Never had a problem with shipping, though they prefer Canada Post over couriers. I also have never had to return anything to them either, so there is that.

Latest posts