What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

FreeKnight

Booked myself a trip to Ottawa and Quebec city in February. While it might seem odd to go there in the dead of winter, I'll catch Carnival in QC and Winterlude in Ottawa. I've been considering a move to Ottawa in the future so I thought I'd get an idea of what it's like in the winter.

FreeKnight

Toronto isn't for me, but I feel Ontario gets a worse rap than it deserves. It's got problems, sure. It's not as if Alberta isn't a hot mess in it's own way though.

Ottawa is clean, relatively affluent and has a lot to do or see as long as you don't mind a somewhat dead nightlife (I don't really care about that). In my case, I don't want to live in a city much smaller than Edmonton. So there's only a handful of options I'd consider. I might end up staying in Edmonton too, it just depends on work or if I've decided to get another degree by then, etc.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'm an Ontario to Alberta transplant, and I fully agree with your assessment.

I enjoyed my time in Ontario and there is a lot of good. I put it up more as a meme then fact.

That being said, I wouldn't go back, but I also don't think I'll retire in Alberta either, unless there is some drastic political changes.

FreeKnight

I'm an Ontario to Alberta transplant, and I fully agree with your assessment.

I enjoyed my time in Ontario and there is a lot of good. I put it up more as a meme then fact.

That being said, I wouldn't go back, but I also don't think I'll retire in Alberta either, unless there is some drastic political changes.
Don't want to derail this into a political thread (which is thankfully taboo here), but that's certainly part of it for me. If I had kids in school I'd be exiting in a hurry unless our current controlling party loses in 2023.

For me there's only so many options in Canada. I don't want to live in a city smaller than Edmonton, so that removes the other prairie provinces. Vancouver and Toronto would mean being house-rich, everything else poor which isn't appealing. Most of the other big cities in Ontario are kind of 'characterless' for lack of a better word. There's no real perk to living in say London or Hamilton over Calgary/Edmonton to me. Montreal's nice enough but I didn't love it. Atlantic Canada's a bit to 'small town' for my taste.

That limits it to Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Ottawa. Probably a handful of Ontario cities I'm unfamiliar with that might be an option (Kingston, etc). Not sure where I'll end up finally and I'm in no rush to leave Edmonton, but I'm not sure I want to stay planted in Alberta for the next 20 years.

Valkyrie

Don't want to derail this into a political thread (which is thankfully taboo here), but that's certainly part of it for me. If I had kids in school I'd be exiting in a hurry unless our current controlling party loses in 2023.

For me there's only so many options in Canada. I don't want to live in a city smaller than Edmonton, so that removes the other prairie provinces. Vancouver and Toronto would mean being house-rich, everything else poor which isn't appealing. Most of the other big cities in Ontario are kind of 'characterless' for lack of a better word. There's no real perk to living in say London or Hamilton over Calgary/Edmonton to me. Montreal's nice enough but I didn't love it. Atlantic Canada's a bit to 'small town' for my taste.

That limits it to Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Ottawa. Probably a handful of Ontario cities I'm unfamiliar with that might be an option (Kingston, etc). Not sure where I'll end up finally and I'm in no rush to leave Edmonton, but I'm not sure I want to stay planted in Alberta for the next 20 years.
I think that's "the" big problem for Canada to come to terms with. Most of it is "small town". Somehow we need to get everyone aboard. So far we've done better than most, it seems, but we have some work to do.

Hope that's not too political.

Edit: I guess most of Canada is "no town" actually.

Edit again: and I kinda' like it that way.

Last edited:

Lysrin

I spent 2.5 years in Waterloo/Kitchener. The cities themselves were fine but I did quite enjoy getting out to the surrounding southern Ontario areas. But I'm okay with more small town environments so there is that. I am in Halifax these days but wouldn't mind being more rural if the right opportunity came up, coupled with work from home options.

Soultribunal

Staff member
So, first week into streaming and it's going better than I expected. I definately need to get a wired headset with Mic for the Xbox though. I'm getting static, and I want to try and eliminate that. As well, need to order a webcam but overall, feedback from people and players has been positive so I am really stoked to see if I can continue on an upward trend.

-ST

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
everywhere is 'house rich' now...even the small hick towns. granted, what $1 mil gets you there is waaay better than what you would get in a big centre, but housing everywhere is ludicrously expensive. 3 years ago, the average home was $250K in Prince Rupert...now that's up by about $100K with far too many being $400K or more. they're wonderful homes, but what average schmo is making that much coin? I sure ain't!

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
everywhere is 'house rich' now...even the small hick towns. granted, what $1 mil gets you there is waaay better than what you would get in a big centre, but housing everywhere is ludicrously expensive. 3 years ago, the average home as $250K in Prince Rupert...now that's up by about $100K with far to many being $400K or more. they're wonderful homes, but what average schmo is making that much coin? I sure ain't!

My end unit Townhouse in a 'Town' of 27K cost 650K. Detached? 890-1mil.

Its...insane.

Latest posts