What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Adjustments After XMP Set Question

belgolas

I used to have an 8700k and it ran my 4000 mhz 32gb 4x8 timings 15-16-16-36. My 8700k ran it just fine out of the box at XMP. I never tried overclocking the ram but it probably could push it more. There was a very slight performance gain so I didn't see much point.

Now with my 5900x I could do 3800 mhz but it wasn't 100% stable so I went with 3600 mhz. Maybe if I tweaked the timings I could have gotten 3800 mhz to work but I have no idea what I am doing with the 30 timings settings in the bios.

I haven't added much to the convo but I would go with what you think will look nicer in your case. You probably can OC the royals higher to 4266 if your mobo/cpu can handle it. Some people say you get more performance with 4 sticks over 2 but overclocking can be harder with 4.

rjbarker

I don’t believe there is nearly as much to gain with faster ram on the intel side of the fence. Personally I would just OC what you have as best you can and call it a day. I doubt you are going to get more than a couple % improvement for your $.

Agree to a certain extent, but in all honesty I have become a bit bored with my current system and looking to do some upgrades spend some $$ on it as I don't plan on a new build until next Gen Intel following Alder Lake.
I lie tinkering w hardware ;)

I used to have an 8700k and it ran my 4000 mhz 32gb 4x8 timings 15-16-16-36. My 8700k ran it just fine out of the box at XMP. I never tried overclocking the ram but it probably could push it more. There was a very slight performance gain so I didn't see much point.

Now with my 5900x I could do 3800 mhz but it wasn't 100% stable so I went with 3600 mhz. Maybe if I tweaked the timings I could have gotten 3800 mhz to work but I have no idea what I am doing with the 30 timings settings in the bios.

I haven't added much to the convo but I would go with what you think will look nicer in your case. You probably can OC the royals higher to 4266 if your mobo/cpu can handle it. Some people say you get more performance with 4 sticks over 2 but overclocking can be harder with 4.

For the OC'ing part 2 sticks vs 4 sticks from what I understand it boils down to Topology of the Board, as in circuit between DIMMS and CPU (IMC), as in Daisy ( 2 Sticks better on a 4 DIMM Slot Board or T-Topology (my Maximus XI-E) 4 sticks better in 4 DIMM Slots.

A fairly knowledgeable source over on ROG pointed this out to me and also pointed out that the QVL list for my Board indicates a very lengthy list of high speed 32G DIMM kits 4*8G vs a very short slower speed QVL list of 2*16G RAM....makes sense to me.

I also recall back 3 yrs ago OC'ing this 9900K that folks with 4*8G kits vs 2*16G kits were having very good results, which I was stumped, but given the Topology of the Board seems to make some sense.

With your 8700K I have no idea what Board or what Topology it was.....perhaps like my Z390 MXI-E the Topology of the circuitry between the DIMM slots and CPU matters, not sure.

Thanks again folks for all the feedback....so much knowledge here on all subjects.....

I settled on the Royals 4000 17-17-17 kit....the chrome silver finish should also compliment my chrome nickel backplate on the EK Velocity and EK Vector blocks. I should be able to try em out sometime after halloween and will report back (for anyone interested or curious).

Last edited:

belgolas

Gamers Nexus showed that both Intel and AMD got better performance using 4 sticks over 2.

I remember buildzoid saying it differs from different motherboards and different memory sticks. Some are dual rank vs single rank for example.

All of it is too complicated for me and I wished I knew more. I wished there was a site that showed which config gave you the best possible performance for what CPU and motherboard you had though I wouldn't want to be the one to make that lol. I know for gaming you should focus more on getting the best GPU but enthusiast want the best they reasonably can get even after getting the best GPU and CPU available.

Bond007

my understanding is the best performance is with 4 ranks of ram…either 2xdual rank sticks, or 4xsingle rank sticks.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i did this with my mini murder box build the 5900x has a kit of 32gb 4000mhz ram but i set it to xmp then it booted :eek: but i set it down to 3800mhz since its very very rare to get a amd zen 3 cpu to run 4000mhz 1-1clock. ill tinker and see if it boots into windows this way once i have clear path to the clr cmos lol.

rjbarker

^^^^ Really guys Im just a bit bored with my system....ok so I know the OC limits of my 9900K (have for quite a long time).....got the RTX 30 series card...hhmmm..lets look at the RAM.....

If it doesnt boot up straight away w XMP @ 4000 I at least know what settings to tinker with in the BIOS ....maybe even get it runing at 3866 with tighter Timings or 4133 with a boot looser.....or I'll shelve them / sell them and go back to the tried tested n true Dominators ;)

Just feel like tinkering more than anything.....

Shadowarez

Folding Team
your system should be able to do xmp i had a itx rig with a 9900k it ran xmo no issues with that 4000mhz kit. but could be the imc silicon lottery not allowing it,

Valkyrie

This treatise explains the effects of channel and rank operation very well. They rigorously maintained all timing settings between configurations, which the BIOS usually will not. The effect of CPU IMC loading will increasingly come into play at high frequencies whether "T" or "Daisy" topology. Both are compromises ultimately. The absolute two channel memory frequency record will very likely go to the "Daisy" with the "golden CPU" and two single rank "golden DIMMs". A properly implemented "T" board may be able run four of those single rank "golden DIMMs" faster than the "Daisy" board, but significantly slower than the record.

As a gamer, you just want to run a two channel system with two ranks per channel as fast as you reliably can.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/performa...s-in-theory-and-practice-with-cyberpunk-2077/

Last edited:

Solace

Gamers Nexus showed that both Intel and AMD got better performance using 4 sticks over 2.

I remember buildzoid saying it differs from different motherboards and different memory sticks. Some are dual rank vs single rank for example.

All of it is too complicated for me and I wished I knew more. I wished there was a site that showed which config gave you the best possible performance for what CPU and motherboard you had though I wouldn't want to be the one to make that lol. I know for gaming you should focus more on getting the best GPU but enthusiast want the best they reasonably can get even after getting the best GPU and CPU available.
Dual rank/Quad rank dimm's will also provide the same gains vs single rank dimm's. The hard part is not every MFG posts the layout of the dimm to see what you are buying. Most are obvious as the size plays a role. My 2 slot setup equates to the 4 slot performance according to aida64 mem benchmarks
This might be easier to interpret,

I can also confirm going past quad rank has hard diminishing returns and generally sacrifices a fair amount of stability. Unless you need the capacaity it is not advised to try. Shadowarez has 128gb i think at cl14 which is quite nuts, you could ask for him to provide a bench and see the gains.

Last edited: