What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ubiquiti Switch Flex Mini?

sswilson

Staff member

If I'm looking to replace my 5 port managed switch with a "dumb" one, is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Yes it's about $15 more than similar non-Ubi switches, but this apparently can be adopted and viewed in the network.....

Izerous

Folding Team
Umm i'm confused "The Switch Flex Mini (USW Flex Mini) is a fully managed, Layer 2 switch" that is still a managed switch. So your actually goign from managed to managed.

sswilson

Staff member
Oh.... well then, I wonder if I can count on it behaving better under default conditions than my current switch?

I've confirmed that it was my existing 5 port prosafe switch that was dragging down my network speeds (now seeing 900+ through a standard "dumb" 8 port switch.

Is there any reason why a managed switch left in default should behave like that or is it more likely that the 5 port has something funky going on with the QoS settings?

JD

Staff member
Umm i'm confused "The Switch Flex Mini (USW Flex Mini) is a fully managed, Layer 2 switch" that is still a managed switch. So your actually goign from managed to managed.
I don't believe it supports custom port profiles, so it's not really "fully managed" as you can't do anything custom with VLANs. It's either untagged VLAN1 with all other VLANs tagged, or its just the single VLAN you select and all others excluded.

Not that any of this matters to @sswilson, it'll do fine for what you want :)

sswilson

Staff member
I don't believe it supports custom port profiles, so it's not really "fully managed" as you can't do anything custom with VLANs. It's either untagged VLAN1 with all other VLANs tagged, or its just the single VLAN you select and all others excluded.

Heh.... well we'll see if I need to take the current switch out back with an axe or not. I just did a physical factory reset on the bloody thing to see if that will stop it from dropping my network speeds down to sub-200 Mbps. This is it's last chance... if it dies on me again it's off to the woodshed for it.... :)

On the aesthetics front, I've got several different lengths of Cat6 inbound to purty up the wall. :)

edit: Would it report anything back to the system that isn't already there? (Other than allowing for managing the ports)

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
edit: Would it report anything back to the system that isn't already there? (Other than allowing for managing the ports)
The topology view would be prettier since it would map out which devices are connected to each port on that switch.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Yup, for 36 bucks you can’t beat that 5 port switch. I have a few in my network, no issues.

Izerous

Folding Team

That was a copy/paste right from their website, they are the ones claiming it is fully managed. Right now my wired topology means that I have not been playing with switches like that. The UDM Pro "currently" has enough ports for my wired connections. Actually allowed me to remove the 24port managed switch i got indirectly from government clear out. PoE switch so I can ditch the injectors is on my wish list but far from a priority.

JD

Staff member
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that was your statement, just used the quote since sswilson's reply was in between :) I know a bunch were a bit upset on the Ubiquiti forums as it's a misleading statement.

And that being said, most don't like how the switch in the UDMP was implemented either, I guess people were hoping for 8 individual interfaces, not sharing a 1G "uplink".

I suppose the issue with Ubiquiti is this sort of half-consumer half-business approach, which just creates more unhappy people on all sides :ROFLMAO:

sswilson

Staff member
Well.... I'm convinced. Pretty hard to argue with the price (especially since it includes free shipping). Grabbed one for now and will probably grab a second if this one works out.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Latest posts