What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help understanding this Meter

Shadowarez

Folding Team
thankfully wife has all correspondence and lack there of since he took over ownership of this place.

Izerous

Folding Team
Something that happened in an apartment years ago. There was energized plugs for each unit outside. A couple of them were covered and homeless people were using the shelter of the building combined with electric space heaters on max to keep warm when the weather got colder. It might not be a power draw only insides but outside too.

Or they might have found a plug that is on your meter and intentionally using your power etc.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Iv done few perimeter searches as I found that same issue at the hospital I work at back in day.

I don't see anything obvious this discrepancy honestly looks like he somehow wired all 4 units to our meter as the A side looks like it's drawing 1kwh a week if that.

Solace

tried talking with the new owner he said he had a electrician look into it tat doesn't fly with me id want the actual hydro company to look into this as it doesn't make sense as our habits if anything have been on decline.

he wants to add a extra $500 a month onto the already insane $3100 + wants $900 in compensation for the sudden spike lol.

come to think of it we did get a notice on our door prior to this about a power disconnection notice.

all utilities are included in this place but when we got that we couldn't get ahold of the new owner.
Politely decline if its included in your contract. Especially if they have no idea who is at fault lol... Its not just whomever lives in the entire building and everyone is to blame. I had some moron landlord try to squeeze money out of everyone having a repair guy come look at a light fixture which apparently only needed bulbs to be replaced. The guy tried to blame everyone else for not checking the bulbs and to pitch in. Same scenario here, not your fault nor your problem. If power does get disconnected for any reason you can contact BC hydro to have it turned back on. You might have to pay the bill however you can file a dispute and just have it deducted off subsequent months rent if it actually got to that point.

edit: your existing contract holds up regardless of new owners even if expired so long as the month-month clause is ticked or they never asked you to leave after it expired for I think 2-3 months. The guy is apparently an electrician and he should be able to easily figure this out lmao. Or perhaps hes mining btc somewhere on the grid and is trying to blame tenants.

Shadowmeph

to be honest I think the whole thing is rigged or something because I used as much electricity ( according to the hydro website) heavy gaming and backing and other things as I did just using my raspi4 and laptop over the same period of time and barely cooking. a few years back we had a power outage for 3 days I went on the website trying to figure out an average of electricity I used and over those three days it showed me using allot of electricity but there was no power in the area I lived . of course you are looking directly at the meter it makes me wonder since it is all digital if there is some programing issues with the meters themselves

Shadowarez

Folding Team
a mining op or grow op is the only thing i can see sucking back that much power as my rig though monstrous in size is not on 24/7 when it is barely 2-3 hours a week some months.

we signed a new lease prior to any of this but he has yet to give us a actual copy of it as it stated the power can be renegotiated if it ever spiked above the regular usage in past.

like in that one pic it showed barely 700kwh that was just before the tenant moved in in the bachelor apt below us. then it spiked i mean even a doofus can see if he has access to the previous months / year usage was well below 1000kwh a month for nearly 14 months then a new person moves in suddenly power spikes to 1940kwh+ maybe just maybe something is going on.

and warrants a proper investigation from say the power corp not a Electrician that doesn't provide any documentation to the tenants about what the issue could be other then entering our unit without notice which is whole other can of worms and not giving anything in way of what the spike could be attributed to other then seeing my Monster Rig and mentioning it could be this which was off for 4 days prior to that visit ><

but i have a long email sent into to the rental review board hopefully i get a call back if not i will follow up when im finally off work and see what can be done to get this done and in writing.

@Shadowmeph im hoping so as it doesnt make any sense that me. checking the meter regularly since the guy moved out it doesnt look as though the meter is sky rocketing like but still insanely high. it would be far better to have the power corp do some testing to see if something is off with the meters as im sure a family of 6 plus 2 others in the other unit on A side are using a wee bit more then 2026kwh in a month.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
He's in the Artic Circle. Buddy downstairs has hooked up some electric heaters when the weather started cooling off as the electricity is included is my call.

The owner needs to back off as your rental contract includes your electricity, or approach the downstairs tenant about the increased power usage. There's also a possibility the meter was misread, I've had that happen in the past with a gas meter in the middle of summer when my furnace was off (the only gas appliance in the house). I ended up demanding they come redo the meter reading because I wasn't going to pay the $800 or be sent to collections over their error.

draemn

Electric heaters are huge power draw. I had a tenant in the basement leaving one plugged in and it was costing around $150-200 a month just for a single space heater with much cheaper rates than are paid up in the territories.

So if I get this right, your meter is actually 2 units... yours and the basement? So there is no way to tell who's using the extra electricity.

Shadowmeph

Something that happened in an apartment years ago. There was energized plugs for each unit outside. A couple of them were covered and homeless people were using the shelter of the building combined with electric space heaters on max to keep warm when the weather got colder. It might not be a power draw only insides but outside too.

Or they might have found a plug that is on your meter and intentionally using your power etc.
I have seen similar thinks people living in a house next to a abandoned or a house that is up for sale knowone is living and and people plugin in extension cords at night using the empty house as a crack or heron den

Latest posts