What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

A Place for Streamers

Soultribunal

Staff member
Alright Folks, I wanted to make a thread in gaming, where everyone can post (if they do it) their streaming handles, channels, etc. As well as tips and such to help new users with platforms such as Twitch etc.

It took, a lot of thought and decisions, but I decided to cast off the mantle and start streaming something that I am actually okay at playing.
Will I add more titles eventually? Sure. For now I will play one until I get comfortable. So please, drop by, drop a line, subscribe if you like.
I'm open to suggestions, and critiques as I do something so far out of the realm of my normal persona.

Find me here:

-ST

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I hadn't heard about Enlisted Squads, I'll be checking it out. I'd be interested in seeing what you're using for a microphone and any capture hardware/software.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I hadn't heard about Enlisted Squads, I'll be checking it out. I'd be interested in seeing what you're using for a microphone and any capture hardware/software.

Thanks SugarJ,

Not sure what platform you'd be on with it, but I am using Twitch on my Xbox Series X, with the Microsoft Headset right now (I will be upgrading, and adding a Logitech USB Webcam shortly). As well, just using the basic Twitch Channel Manager right now, Twitch Studio is in BETA right now and I am going to try and teach myself how to use that too. This is literally, Day 1 for me so I am still in the learning process as well but I wanted to start learning as I go on this.

If you happen to play it on Xbox, please by all means Drop me a line and we'll squad up and go. I love the game. Feel free to sub and check it out when I go live.

-ST

Soultribunal

Staff member
What is this Xbox thing you speak of, I'm a charter member of the PC Master Race! We'll hook up when you escape from the dark side and return to the light. :)

As soon as I have some money again I'll be back on PC. Or I get a proper docking setup for my 51M here at the new house.

Give it some time and they'll have cross play. In the meantime though, come watch me as I play!

-ST

draemn

I have been reviving my www.youtube.com/draemn with Star Wars: The Old republic

I have to say that youtube has really matured a lot in the 4-6 years since I last did regular content. It's very hard the newer style of algorithm that rewards high click through rate and so many people now just put up good content. It's almost like being a film editor/creative type is more important than actually being highly technical at your content. Yes, there still is room for experts, but not if you just turn on a camera and talk.

Been noticing that outside of the few very fortunate large channels people make most of their money outside of AdSense revenue and one needs to be on Patreon or sometime similar to survive. I'm surprised how many medium/small channels pull in over $1k/mo just off patreon.

It's weird to look back and think "wow, if I knew what YouTube would be like then I would have probably stuck with it. It was way easier back then to get an audience and AdSense was pretty reasonable."

Soultribunal

Staff member
I have been reviving my www.youtube.com/draemn with Star Wars: The Old republic

I have to say that youtube has really matured a lot in the 4-6 years since I last did regular content. It's very hard the newer style of algorithm that rewards high click through rate and so many people now just put up good content. It's almost like being a film editor/creative type is more important than actually being highly technical at your content. Yes, there still is room for experts, but not if you just turn on a camera and talk.

Been noticing that outside of the few very fortunate large channels people make most of their money outside of AdSense revenue and one needs to be on Patreon or sometime similar to survive. I'm surprised how many medium/small channels pull in over $1k/mo just off patreon.

It's weird to look back and think "wow, if I knew what YouTube would be like then I would have probably stuck with it. It was way easier back then to get an audience and AdSense was pretty reasonable."

Yeah my biggest regret too was not sticking with YouTube either when I was doing so well with WoWP. Oh well, better late than never. I guess may need to get a Patreon account to help fund my hobby and content creating.

Anywho, I subbed to your channel. SwTOR was not my game really, but I will watch and support just the same since I'm new and starting out myself. Looking forward to seeing what you have.

-ST

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I've thought about streaming a bunch of times, and I've even got most of the kit required... But never could make myself do it. How do you even start? Streaming with no viewers for a long time?

Soultribunal

Staff member
I've thought about streaming a bunch of times, and I've even got most of the kit required... But never could make myself do it. How do you even start? Streaming with no viewers for a long time?

I'll give you a little advice that will hopefully help CM.
The first thing you do before you start going live, is record yourself (Video and Audio, or just Audio) to get the lighting and Mic Positioning correct, and to make sure there are no issues with clarity of Audio (which I encountered, and resulted in me getting a new Headphone Mic Setup).
The next is you have to talk like you are chatting with your best friend, loved one, family member etc.
Don't look at how many viewers or lack thereof at the beginning. That is not important. You need to be comfortable first, so make sure whatever game, or such you are interested in streaming is something you have a passion for. Get someone to help critique you as well.

I took theater for years, and I was pretty good at it. But still I had friends and family view what I was doing so that I way I found my 'voice' in doing what I was doing. Don't be afraid of being critiqued. IF you watch a lot of streamers, many of them 'changed' their personalities over the time that they started till now because they adapted their persona to something that worked best.

Also, don't assume your gonna get rich, or have 10's of thousands of followers / subscribers. If you put that pressure on yourself, you'll stress too much recording, and trust me, it will show.
Its taken me a month to get 10 followers, and subscribers.
But they are trickling in.

You need to 'tweet' and use all other forms of social media constantly in order to help build your presence.
Keep a rigid schedule at first too, make sure people know when and where they can watch you (Twitch makes this easy as it has a built in calendar).
Also make sure you have your channel manager open on a separate screen from your game so you can interact with your watchers and chat as required.

That's about all I can think of for now.

For myself, because I am far from rich, I still have some equipment to add including a Light Because the lighting where I stream is not as good.
But that has to wait till I save some $$$.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have questions, and come take a look at my content. It might give you some inspiration as to finding your own 'online' identity.

I came from having some forms of social anxiety, to doing this. So anyone can do it. You just need to believe.

-ST