What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The Happy thread!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
My external NVMe drive turned into a backup drive for my work laptop. I need to pick up a second one for things like that.
I get the speed...but seems such a waste cause SSD aren't small (256GB) and the Windows Install stuff is only 4GB or so. granted, I guess you can have a custom folder full of new installation related stuff.

Izerous

Folding Team
I get the speed...but seems such a waste cause SSD aren't small (256GB) and the Windows Install stuff is only 4GB or so. granted, I guess you can have a custom folder full of new installation related stuff.
The whole drive turned into a timemachine backup drive. So I no longer have a portable nvme that is free to do whatever I want.

Install something sure, transfer projects from work sure etc

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
No, I didn't time it, but it was more like turning my head and then looking back and wondering why it was back at the initial install screen. (It had finished the initial install and had already rebooted).

daaamn. what SSD and what enclosure did you use? I have a new NV1 1TB lying around....tho mebe I'll just buy a NV1 250GB.

sswilson

Staff member

+ the cheapest 2K(ish) 128GB NVMe I could get my hands on at the time (happened to be a Kioxia)

No need to get a super-fast NVMe as you're still limited by the USB 3.X speeds.

Izerous

Folding Team
I had gone with https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80425 + WD 500GB Black

I used the 500GB black only because it is what I took out of my system and replaced with a 1TB. I agree with what sswilson said and that being still limted by USB-3 it is silly to use a super fast SSD and if building one for the sake of building one get a cheaper enclosure than I did and go with a cheaper and slower drive.

sswilson

Staff member
I initially bought the enclosure as a tool for cloning new/larger NVMe drives without having to use an extra drive for an interim image, but grabbed the 128GB drive for use as a fast replacement for USB sticks since I already had the enclosure sitting unused.

Latest posts