What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

7-8" Android Tablet

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Well, I'll be trying Fire Toolbox on my daughter's Fire 7 now. I think it was last Christmas when I tried the whole sideload the Play store on.

Hmm. I'll be checking out whether Lineage OS is available for either of those models. There's no current Google tablet, although there's one rumored to be coming to compete with the iPad. Probably a 10" model though.

Lysrin

Well, I'll be trying Fire Toolbox on my daughter's Fire 7 now. I think it was last Christmas when I tried the whole sideload the Play store on.

Hmm. I'll be checking out whether Lineage OS is available for either of those models. There's no current Google tablet, although there's one rumored to be coming to compete with the iPad. Probably a 10" model though.
I don't see Amazon or Fire listed in the LineageOS supported devices; at least not obvious to me anyway. Unless they are some other manufacturer?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I was referring to the Samsung and Lenovo tablets. I know the Fire ones aren't supported.

FreeKnight

Hopefully it's quick and easy for you. It was totally painless for me and I haven't paid any attention to the mobile scene in years.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
so, with the Fire tablets, do you sideload the actual Play Store or just the apps you want that are on it?

I don't like to fiddle with stuff that much anymore, but the latest version of the Fire 10 FHD are pretty sweet for the price.

FreeKnight

so, with the Fire tablets, do you sideload the actual Play Store or just the apps you want that are on it?

I don't like to fiddle with stuff that much anymore, but the latest version of the Fire 10 FHD are pretty sweet for the price.
With the Fire toolbox it permanently adds the play store to the tablet and you can then download apps normally via the play store IIRC. I'd have to double check my fire, but I'm positive that's how it works.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Lenovo has the M8 FHD on sale for $160. the only big knocks against it are Android 9 and WiFi 5, not 6. of course, the CPU isn't anything wonderful, but it's more than sufficient for most tasks I suspect.

edit - I did a quick Google to see if there were any Android updates and according to this 'Upgrade Matrix' on Lenovo's site, the M8 FHD is due to get Android 10 released by December 31st, 2021

Lenovo Tab M8 FHDTB-8705FAndroid 9Android 10 (Android Q)11/4/2021Complete12/31/2021*
TB-8705NAndroid 9Android 10 (Android Q)10/22/2021Complete12/31/2021*
TB-8705XAndroid 9Android 10 (Android Q)11/4/2021Complete12/31/2021*

edit 2 - well...perusing that page some more, these go software EoL for security updates, etc, on the first of January 2022. 😫

Last edited:

MARSTG

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is bundled for with some cellphone plans from what i have seen but is kinda a midrange device and around 150cad worth.

Latest posts