What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3D Printer / CNC discussion thread

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
So my wife and I collaborated on these. I cut and painted them, she used her Silhouette for the lettering and hot glued the little wreaths on. They're 14x14 cm. These ones are cut out of 3/8" Baltic Birch ply. We also cut some out of 1/4" Oak that are stained, not done those yet. They took 3 minutes each to cut once I had the machine zeroed in. A fun little project.

View attachment 33060
Need banana for scale.

Also, very brave of you in 2021 with the 'Baby its cold outside' ;)

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Ha. I'd forgotten the furor about that last year. I'll point that out to her tonight, that one may be changed. Next pic I'll put something in for scale.

danmitch1

So my wife and I collaborated on these. I cut and painted them, she used her Silhouette for the lettering and hot glued the little wreaths on. They're 14x14 cm. These ones are cut out of 3/8" Baltic Birch ply. We also cut some out of 1/4" Oak that are stained, not done those yet. They took 3 minutes each to cut once I had the machine zeroed in. A fun little project.

View attachment 33060
Nice! is the writing also cut out? looks painted on, or maybe just not very deep?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Seems like an excuse to get a laser burner and burn the lettering in

Putting a laser head on the CNC has been on the back of my mind for about 2 years. That's 2nd in line after upgrading to linear rails.

Bond007

I have not touched my Aquila since the summer, and decided (now that I have some time off work) to start playing again. It was very frustratingly beeping between 1 and 10 minutes into prints about the nozzle temp being to low and stopping the print. After keeping my cool, despite the obnoxious beeping, I hope that it is fixed with a simple tightening of the nozzle thermistor screw. We will see...currently at hour 3 of an estimated 5.5 hour print (making some toy "blasters" for my son and his friend).

sswilson

Staff member
I have not touched my Aquila since the summer, and decided (now that I have some time off work) to start playing again. It was very frustratingly beeping between 1 and 10 minutes into prints about the nozzle temp being to low and stopping the print. After keeping my cool, despite the obnoxious beeping, I hope that it is fixed with a simple tightening of the nozzle thermistor screw. We will see...currently at hour 3 of an estimated 5.5 hour print (making some toy "blasters" for my son and his friend).

So it's no longer beeping?

Bond007

So it's no longer beeping?
No it isn't. It would stop the print and start beeping like crazy with an alert on the screen that the nozzle or bed temps were below required temps. Only way to stop the beeping was to power off at the PSU. Since tightening that screw, this print is (knock on wood) going ok. A bit over 4 hours in now.

Still running the stock firmware, as it works (or at least has so far) for me and my rookie skills.

Bond007

Seems like that was the culprit (luckily an easy fix). Two 5+ hour prints completed without the issue re-occuring, and about 30 minutes into another now. Still printing these toy "blaster" halves for kiddos, and squeezed a custom headphone stand in that mounts on the back of my tv stand (out of sight except for when I need it for some night time xbox).

Unfortunately I am down to orange filament only, but some black is on the way...need to make some stands to hold xbox controllers vertical, so they take less space (no way I want orange for that).