What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

PSU requirement

hossdaddy

Hey guys, first post in a long time! I have the following system and am struggling to determine if its got enough power.

Ryzen 7 5800X
Asus Strix B450 Gaming F
Asus Strix 6700XT 12gb
2 x 8gb 3200mhz ram
1 nvme sse 500gb
1 sata ssd 250gb
1 500 gb hd
1 asus xonar phoebus soundcard
Coolermaster H500 case with 2 x 200mm fans, 1 x 120mm fan(all rgb)
Deepcool 240 liquid AIO cooler with 2 xx 120mm fans (all fans are RGB)
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W Gold Full Modular

I have checked a few psu online calculators but getting very different estimations. The Seasonic site is running in beta version and doesnt even provide a wattage # just different models it would suggest. Other sites are between 476w and 653w.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Bond007

A quality 650w psu will be fine. That said, I don’t believe the toughpower is a great psu, and I would have probably grabbed something higher tier.

Lysrin

I don't know about the later Toughpowers, but I still have one in a 4790K system that has been running for years! I have had zero complaints with it.

sswilson

Staff member
The other factor would be the age of the PSU. Is it new, or did you bring it over from an earlier build?

Lysrin

@hossdaddy you said in the OP that you "have the following system and am struggling to determine if its got enough power."

By that do you mean you are already running the system with the Toughpower and it is having issues, or are you trying to determine a new power supply to buy for the system and were considering the Toughpower 650W?

clshades

I wouldn't go less than 750w seasonic made PSU. Once you hit high end video cards and motherboards I noticed some of the 650w PSU's don't have all the power connections needed. I can't remember the exact issue with the 650 I bought for my sons computer but it didn't have one of the power connections needed. Extra 12v mobo connection or something.

Most of the gold standard 750's cover all that. All the 850's and above have everything you need and then some.

Also, I wouldn't touch a thermaltake PSU with a 10 foot pole.

great_big_abyss

I wouldn't go less than 750w seasonic made PSU. Once you hit high end video cards and motherboards I noticed some of the 650w PSU's don't have all the power connections needed. I can't remember the exact issue with the 650 I bought for my sons computer but it didn't have one of the power connections needed. Extra 12v mobo connection or something.

Can confirm. My Corsair RM650i doesn't have the 2nd 8-pin CPU power cable that can be connected to my motherboard. Because I'm running a relatively low power R5 processor, it's not a problem, and I don't need it, but if I had one of the higher SKU's, I'd probably want it.

hossdaddy

Thanks for all the replies guys! The psu is about 1 yr old. Its in the system now. I upgraded from a ryzen 5 3600 to a ryzen 7 5800x. I typically like to have an over matched psu by design but my system has upgraded over the last 6+ months to whats in my signature and I am concerned that it will be running too close to its maximum more often than not.

I agree that I should replace the psu for something like these:

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-750FM 750W 80 + Gold Semi-Modular $89.99

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G6, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular $119.99

Thoughts?

Bond007

If you have the money, then yes I would agree with going to a quality 750w as the ideal answer. A 650w should be fine, but I am just not familiar with your current model (and ones I am familiar with from thermaltake are not good).

Either of your choices would be fine. The seasonic at $90 is a great deal, but it is a semi-modular version. The fully modular version is $110 at CC or $115 on amazon. The G6 is based on the seasonic focus + design as well.

EDIT: if it matters to you, I think the focus is a 7 year warranty, and the g6 and focus plus are 10 year.

Latest posts