What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Citizen

Lysrin

The reality is that it's not a finished have after a decade, and it will never be until you can buy it and have all features for like $70 or so. Right now it's still very much more of a scam than a finished game.
You can buy it all, current and future features, both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 if you want both, right now for $65 USD. If you only want one or the other it is cheaper than that obviously.

But it is still in development so certainly not the right choice for everyone.

Lysrin

I shall put this here as info for others, and open myself up for another SC pummeling! ;)

My new Radeon 6800 XT works wonderfully in all the games I play... except SC :) Given the evidence I wouldn't fault the 6800 XT. Just less support for AMD vs NVIDIA in SC right now I'd guess. And I suppose since SC is still an early access game, driver issues for it are likely not a high priority for AMD?

Looking over the Spectrum forums others have similar issues and have had improved performance staying with older versions of the Adrenalin drivers. However, I don't want to go that route at this point as I only play SC occasionally.

This won't be a long term issue given that SC optimization has a way to go no matter which card you are on. In future support for both will improve. I'm not sure if Vulkan API support is coming in the 3.18 update or not, but I suspect that will help as well.

Anyway, just mentioning for others who play and may be considering purchasing Red Team GPUs.

On2wheels

Performance is where I hoped it would be now with the 6800 XT.

I enabled rebar, but I suspect that isn't it although it may be helping. I did a complete fresh install and that took care of all the unexpected stuttering. So I'm pleased!
Yeah once I deleted teh user folder and made sure the cache was wiped after I chanegd gpu brands it ran better, much better than the 1080ti did.

Lysrin

Just because @Valkyrie was nice enough to ask, few shots from a quick cargo delivery mission. This is the relatively new starter ship, the Drake Cutter. I quite like it. Flies in atmosphere like I think a VW van would feel if one could fly! :D These were taken at 4K, very high settings, but they're shrunk down for here of course.

On the train, heading to the space port in New Babbage on Microtech.

ScreenShot-2023-01-14_22-15-17-CFA (Custom).jpg

Heading for orbit, city of New Babbage on Microtech in the background.

ScreenShot-2023-01-15_16-55-11-B5C (Custom).jpg

On approach to the mining station to pick up the cargo. Microtech is the farthest planet out in the Stanton system, I think, and this station is on one of its moons. The moons are often quite dark and very cold, and I seem to have a knack for taking missions when the place I need to go is on the dark side! Anyway, quite cool and atmospheric. Fog and cloud cover, and snow storms on the surface. The lights ahead of my ship is the mining station not too far away at this point.

ScreenShot-2023-01-15_17-14-27-CE6 (Custom).jpg

Package retrieved, leaving the moon, getting to orbit to engage quantum drive back to Microtech for delivery.

ScreenShot-2023-01-15_17-25-15-0E8 (Custom).jpg

Also both times I logged out in the ship bed in this recent playtime I logged back and was in my ship nearly where I was when I logged off. I say nearly because one time I tried logging out in just a random place landed on the planet. Then I logged back in it put me in orbit above the planet.

Not perfect yet, but that is certainly a lot better than all the way back at the last major city or space port I landed at! If that keeps working I'll be able to play more and get something done with less real-life time required.

Lysrin

Agree with @crazyea it does look great. Strange looking helmet? in that train shot. Maybe all augmented external views?
I'm not sure what the future plans are for helmets, but right now they are only cosmetic except for their weight class (light, medium, heavy) and the attributes those convey. Things like more or less armour, weight and affect on movement and stamina, carrying capacity, and environmental protection (heat and cold). I think those are the main ones. Augmented external views would be cool, but nothing like that in game that I know of from helmets.

A while back now, they used to have different views looking out of different helmets. For example some heavy armours restricted view, like looking out of a porthole almost. It was a cool idea, and the restricted view was perhaps supposed to be a tradeoff for the extra protection from the heavy class armour. But it was so restrictive that players didn't want to wear it, flying for sure, and I don't think it was balanced right, visibility for protection trade-off I mean. It's a cool idea and I think at some point they may add that back in but it's a hard one to get right in a multiplayer game. They're trying to avoid the min/maxing type stuff and that is very challenging when real people are fighting real people.

Now that ships have inventory space themselves though, that could make sense again. You have your flight suit armour with the attributes you want for that, and then you suit up in whatever makes sense for where you land, mission, etc. As long as you've loaded it before you take off!

I thought after I should have a couple more shots of actually landed and what doing stuff on the ground looks like these days. But an SC YouTube search would show that too of course.

And full disclosure... I did have one CTD during this play session 😊

Last edited: