What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Horizon: Zero Dawn & Forbidden West

lowfat

Staff member
I haven't finished yet but my only real complaint about the gameplay is that you can only hide or stealth in that one specific vegetation type. That's a bit goofy, but once you accept that it's good. It am certainly intrigued by the story as it unfolds.
TBH I never did the whole stealth thing at all. Always go in guns blazing.

Lysrin

TBH I never did the whole stealth thing at all. Always go in guns blazing.
You know what's interesting about that, the stealth seemed to figure into it so much, I didn't even think guns blazing was a viable option! Kudos to the designers then for making it possible either way.

Lysrin

Back to playing this. New Game+ on Ultra Hard. Game looks and performs so much better than RDR2. Plus not near as buggy.
I haven't even beat it on the normal setting yet! lol I have to stop game hopping! Oooo shiny... Squirrel!! :D

LaughingCrow

Back to playing this. New Game+ on Ultra Hard. Game looks and performs so much better than RDR2. Plus not near as buggy.
Started a new game as well (PC), Game + Ultra Hard. Finding HZD has more replay value for me than Horizon Forbidden West (PS4). While HFW has a lot of positives & a good story, weaponry is more complex & upgrading is a grind.

lowfat

Staff member
Started a new game as well (PC), Game + Ultra Hard. Finding HZD has more replay value for me than Horizon Forbidden West (PS4). While HFW has a lot of positives & a good story, weaponry is more complex & upgrading is a grind.
TBH I'm finding the game stupid easy so far. Like no increase in difficultly at all. Actually much easier since I already have maxed weapons, armour, abilities.

LaughingCrow

TBH I'm finding the game stupid easy so far. Like no increase in difficultly at all. Actually much easier since I already have maxed weapons, armour, abilities.
Yes. Although the bandit camps have a lot more bandits. A more of a challenge to take them out with stealth without alerting the others.

lowfat

Staff member
Yes. Although the bandit camps have a lot more bandits. A more of a challenge to take them out with stealth without alerting the others.
Haven't figured out how to do that in the first place.

One thing where H:ZD sucks is mounts. They are compltely useless IMO. Their pathing is terrible. They don't seem all that much faster. And until you can put like 8 skill points in to them it is tedious af to get one.

LaughingCrow

Haven't figured out how to do that in the first place.

One thing where H:ZD sucks is mounts. They are compltely useless IMO. Their pathing is terrible. They don't seem all that much faster. And until you can put like 8 skill points in to them it is tedious af to get one.
😁 yes - But you can change the pathing so mounts don't follow the roads. Generally I go on foot. With a harder setting, the distance/range of other machines that target you is much greater - once one goes red it alerts others - which seems worse to me while mounted. Cooldown on some of them is much slower & they may follow you and light up other machines.

Finding I was having to either repair the mount or to call another one to replace a dead one that I thought I left in a safe area.

Horizon Forbidden West adds newer & much tougher mounts. Bristleback, Clawstrider & Sunwings (flight).

LaughingCrow

HZD - Ultra-hard the spotting range is quite uneven - took out 1 of the 3 camps by the Ring of Metal (Revenge of the Nora) okay, along with the Camp Alarm. Started shooting the (green) barrels of Blaze & that alerted several distant Corrupted Scrappers that didn't show up on my 'radar' while scouting the camp. Those Scrappers summoned more that came in behind me out of nowhere and I died... One note - on the PC, there are only 3 outside bandit camps, but on the PS4 there are 4 outside camps. I'm dreading entering the Ring of Metal and trying to do that in stealth mode because of the weird spotting differences in Ultra-Hard.

Sometimes you get spotted by just 1 bandit which will show a yellow ? mark but you can hide & take out with a silent kill. However, it has to be a stealth kill out of sight of the others or they go high alert with a Red ? mark which can trigger the whole camp. A corrupted Watcher spotting you (Red ? mark) will alert the other Watchers and bandits - trigger the whole camp.

You can be next to a bandit in stealth in grass but still alert one on the far side of the camp somehow... not very even. I reloaded from last save quite a few times to see if I could spot any consistency in this but it's just not very even. Stealth head shots seem to be fairly consistent as long as the body isn't discovered by one of the bandits moving around.

Never had this difficulty in stealth mode with other lower difficulty levels often taking out a most of a bandit camp one by one in stealth mode.

Latest posts