What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

anyone here use a dedicated download manager?

sswilson

Staff member
Why would anybody need one? Are folks still doing usenet (or similar things) where they need to stitch complete files together?

ZZLEE

I use a firewall GlassWire it allows control of what goes in and out of your PC .

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I thought that was in the days of dialup mostly so that in case the connection dropped you could have a better chance of resuming the download? I suppose it might still apply if you're on fixed-wireless or satellite internet.

crazyea

Why would anybody need one? Are folks still doing usenet (or similar things) where they need to stitch complete files together?
I use usenet, but everything is automated using sonarr/radarr/prowlarr/bazarr/sabnzbd.

Izerous

Folding Team
I drawing a blank on the name of the one I was looking into but there are file transfer protocol that is designed around resumable upload/download that I was looking into due to a project that was proposed but we didn't actually do. You could take the device offline for a whole day and it would just resume the file transfer when requested.

Thats honestly about the only use case in a semi-modern environment I can think off. Even multi gig downloads on a somewhat decent connection/hardware is usually only a few minutes anymore.

Izerous

Folding Team
just my built-in browser manager but I don't download much besides when setting up a PC
Quoting this only because it reminded me of something.

I guess you could argue that Ninite is a download manager/install manager. I use that on every fresh install of windows. Keep it to update the installed software or replicate it to other machine to replicate the install.

Latest posts