What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

First build.

l0ck

Hey,

First off, I skim through this site every once in a while, and now I decided to post, seeing how this is my first build.

I'm planning on building my first gaming rig...mmm around july 22nd:biggrin:.

Here is what I have planned:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - DirectCanada

MOBO: EVGA Nforce 680I SLI (..-A1)
EVGA Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard - DirectCanada

Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTX
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTX 575MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card - DirectCanada

Memory: OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 2GB
OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive - DirectCanada

Optical: Liteon LH-20A1H-186
Liteon DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 8X Lightscribe INT IDE Drive Black DVD Writer W/ SW Retail - DirectCanada

CPU: ? not sure yet. I was thinking the corsair 620w one, or the OCZ GameXstream 600.

Before you suggest a different CPU, I will need the multi threading for some rendering, and it also doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Not all of the items will be bought with Direct Canada since I have local retailers with better deals, but the "NO pst" does help a lot.

I plan on OCing to a great deal some time in the future, when i really need it. But for now, I'll run at stock. I also plan on going SLI as well, but that can wait aswell.

So please tell me what you think, and what PSU I should get.

Thanks in advance guys & gals.

Last edited:

Moneyless

Maybe you should wait a month and get a X38 board... :O

That's just my opinion though. Your build looks pretty cool.

And like Babrbarossa said, you should get a stronger PSU, SLI or not.

J

JayDee

I have the Corsair 620 and I think it would be fine. Has been a great PSU for me thus far (I've had it about 6 weeks).

J

JayDee

Maybe so, but you're not talking about SLI 8800GTX with your system.
True.
When I was researching the PSU I wanted I did see a SLI setup which IIRC was GTX but my memory is such that it might have been SLI GTS. I think alot of the massive voltage PSU's are more about hype and a "good" PSU will handle it. If you want the comfort of a good 750watt or 850watt Silverstone PSU that's cool but from what I've read I think the Corsair 620 will be good to go. Perhaps SKYMTL will give a more informed opinion than I can offer though (I could be wrong :biggrin: ).

hausner

solid machine man :thumb:

btw. 12000 post on this forum :bananafunky:

sry for offtopic..

Last edited:

mrlie3

I heard Lite-On drives are loud and sucks at burning discs. You should consider LG or Samsung products.

Last edited:
G

I heard Lite-On drives are loud and sucks at burning discs. You should consider LG or Samsung products.
And remember Lite-on makes for alot of other company's , Sony for one. That said I prefer my Sony/Lite-on to my LG, the LG is louder and half the time just putting a disc in the tray causes it to close sucks if the disc wasn't fully in when it decides to close all by it's self.
$0.02

mrlie3

And remember Lite-on makes for alot of other company's , Sony for one. That said I prefer my Sony/Lite-on to my LG, the LG is louder and half the time just putting a disc in the tray causes it to close sucks if the disc wasn't fully in when it decides to close all by it's self.
$0.02

That's odd. I know for a fact that LG had the best and the quietest CD drives in the world. I don't know much about DVD burner market but from your experience it seems they had some problems. How about Samsung?

Latest posts