What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

price cuts

pscout

Fallen Folder
July 22 is the date i have seen posted.

When i talked to a local retailer, (pc village) one of the managers told me he was expecting July 14. I wouldn't be suprised to have some lead time built in for the distribution channels through wholesalers and retailers.

I would expect to see some start to discount ahead of july 22 to clear inventory ... a few did on the last price cuts ... mostly the ones that regularly undercut their retail competition.

I get most of of cpu's off ebay so i am hopeful there will be good supply. It has some risks but if you are careful/savvy it can save some bucks, especially with the cdn $ being high vs usd. Hopefully i can pick up a few more cheap quads to replace the last of my pentium 930d's.

Last edited:

Unklmo

actually, on an earlier redman run today i stopped in at a pc shop on the nearby reserve to check out something, and then it dawned on.
NO TAXES on the reserve !!
his prices were actually pretty much on par with everyone else, but if i can save myself the taxes, well...
just something for future consideration i suppose.

r00tman

I heard the QX6700 is going to drop down to what the Q6600 is selling for right now. Can anyone confirm this 'rumour'? :help:

pscout

Fallen Folder
yep ... $530 (us) for q6700 ... the chart i have says q6700 not qx6700 so i dunno if it is a non X version?

but for 1/2 the price you could get 2 q6600's for the q6700 :biggrin:

I expect to see a lot more big point producers in the folding world.

Hopefully some of you will come join us folding with these new babies on the HCF folding team .... with a bit of OC they will produce 3000-3500 ppd.

Unklmo

yep ... $530 (us) for q6700 ... the chart i have says q6700 not qx6700 so i dunno if it is a non X version?

but for 1/2 the price you could get 2 q6600's for the q6700 :biggrin:

I expect to see a lot more big point producers in the folding world.

Hopefully some of you will come join us folding with these new babies on the HCF folding team .... with a bit of OC they will produce 3000-3500 ppd.
so now i'm really stumped.
Q6600 or E6700 ? some reviews i've come across suggest the quads would not be the best choice for gaming as opposed to the E6700 :blarg:
don't mean to go off topic guys but i'm spinning in circles over this one.
sooo dizzy....

btw, i haven't quite figured out this "folding" thing yet, but it's got my curiosity roused.

r00tman

so now i'm really stumped.
Q6600 or E6700 ? some reviews i've come across suggest the quads would not be the best choice for gaming as opposed to the E6700 :blarg:
don't mean to go off topic guys but i'm spinning in circles over this one.
sooo dizzy....

btw, i haven't quite figured out this "folding" thing yet, but it's got my curiosity roused.

I was talking about the Q6600 and the QX6700 quad core processors. I heard the Q6600 will drop down to about $300 USD, and the QX6700 to about $500 USD. But this is all speculation, and the official price drops haven't been announced yet.

With regards to gaming, I would personally choose a quad core versus a dual core CPU, just because of the fact that more is better. Although, some games are not yet designed to take full advantage of 4 cores...for now. It all depends on price and personal preference I suppose.

If you have no idea what Folding is, take a look at this article: Folding@home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Personally, I think it's a great idea that benefits a good purpose. If I get a QX6700 or Xeon X3220, I'll install the folding client on my machine.

Last edited:
M

Misoprostol

it'll be a Q6700, not a QX. Intel only unlocks the multipliers on their >$1000 chips. Once the price drop occurs, it will not be an "extreme" chip.

Latest posts