What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

quiet cooling needed

Jim

freind has a comp in a recording studio wants a cpu fan/heat sink thats as near to silent as possible no over clocking involved ,might use water sys if its cheap,any recommendations ? budget of 25 - 50 bucks

sswilson

Staff member

MpG

If there's no overclocking involved, pretty much any decent tower heatsink with a sub-1000rpm fan will be plenty. At one point, I had my Q6600 at 3.6GHz using a Ultra 120 Extreme and a 900rpm Noctua, and max temps were below 60. A stock processor would be easier still. $50 budget might be slightly tricky, but should be doable. But if that's your budget, water is definitely out of the question. And at stock settings, you can use fans that are quieter than even the quietest water pumps.

M

member 3099

I'm going to go with the tower cooler w/ no fan idea, but even a fan that's less than 1200rpm is barely audible..

MpG

Be careful - there's a huge difference between no fan and a fan running at extremely low rpms. If you manage to put a quad-core under load, things could get really hot in a hurry, unless something is moving the heat off the heatsink. Personally, I'd suggest at least a single slow fan. Scythe S-flex fans can be had in 800rpm variants, and Noctua's P-series fans come with inline resistor to bring the rpm down as low as 900rpm - either would make a world of difference, I think.