What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need help: Reboot problem

ModdKid

Hey guys,

Just built this rig:

CPU: Q8200 (not oc'd)
Mobo: Ep45-UD3R
RAM: 4gb PC-8500
Video: Asus EAH4830HD 512mb (not oc'd)

Just recently purchased a 24" LCD monitor (Benq G2412HD) with DVI single link connection to vid card/monitor, but previously had this rig running on a 17" CRT monitor VGA connection. While with the crt, i had resolution running at 1680X1050 all day long with no problems. Since the switch to the LCD, and running at 1920X1080 resolution, im noticing that the computer keeps rebooting. I have CCC set for 1920X1080, and i have not oc'd the video card. Im speculating the problem could be that the LCD DVI is a DVI-D type output while the video card has DVI-I outputs, and the DVI cable im using is male to male DVi-D. Could this type of connection be causing this problem? Should i get a cable connection that is DVI-I/DVI-D type?

Note: Im running everest and all temps are within stock levels, have previously run Prime95 when i built the rig and it passed all cores running for 6hrs. Only game im playering right now is Fallout 3, video settings at ultra, and displayed at 1920X1080.

Any help would be appreciated.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I find it highly unlikely that your system is rebooting just because your outputting DVI-D to DVI-I. In any case, I don't even think DVI-D is required for 1080p, only higher resolutions like 1600x1200 or 2560x1600. How does your system reboot exactly? Is there a bluescreen? If you can, check your event viewer to see if anything shows up there and get back to us. :thumb:

ModdKid

^^ doesnt give me a BSOD, or an error prompt. When it happens it just reboots itself. I have checked the event viewer and there is nothing in there that stands out. If you are saying that the dvi cable has nothing to do with it, could it be that the vid card cant handle the 1920x1080 resolution? I looked at the specs and the vid card can handle max 2560X1600.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I've still never seen a crash related to resolution in any way... But still, just to discount it as possible cause of your crash, try dropping the resolution from 1080p to 720p. Then we'll see if it's resolution related or something else...

ModdKid

^^ actually i have done that, but it still reboots. Im at work right now, but will try lowering the resolution and see if it still reboots. thanks for the suggestions.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Driver error would probably be my guess as well. Perhaps uninstall the drivers, then use driver cleaner, reinstall Older catalyst drivers. The 4830 has been out for some time so even 6 month old drivers will still fully support it.

KaptCrunch

for your MB version 1.1 or 1.0 ?

what of bios, current is F9

also what power scheme setting using ?

i can't find anything on asus 4830HD on asus site can you run GPU-z and verifi what card you have

oops i found asus 4830 drivers version 8.63 2009/08/05

Last edited:

ModdKid

^^

Mobo: i'll confirm the version i have when i get home from work.

Bios: i can confirm that the bios is F9 (shows upon boot up)

Power scheme: can you explain what this is, if you mean PSU, i have 600w OCZ modxstream

Driver: it may be the driver, as i tried searching for any new release drivers from benq but couldnt find any. Ive only installed the driver from the included cd.

GPU-Z: will print screen when i get home

Thanks again for the help!

Latest posts