What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

raid help

Jhayman

My buddy has an older computer AMD xp2500 on an Asus A78NX mobo..
He has 2 40G drives in Raid 0 now, the computer does not boot up..
All it says in keyboard error I have replaced the keyboard, with usb board and ps/2 keyboard and mouse same issue..
So I think it's his board, gone bye bye..
But he has alot of wedding pics he needs saved, So how can I save his pics, without borking the raid 0 setup??
I would think I would need the same board he has now, but then I'm sure the raid drivers would have to be installed, and that would kill the already existing raid 0 setup, ?? correct..
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

enaberif

My buddy has an older computer AMD xp2500 on an Asus A78NX mobo..
He has 2 40G drives in Raid 0 now, the computer does not boot up..
All it says in keyboard error I have replaced the keyboard, with usb board and ps/2 keyboard and mouse same issue..
So I think it's his board, gone bye bye..
But he has alot of wedding pics he needs saved, So how can I save his pics, without borking the raid 0 setup??
I would think I would need the same board he has now, but then I'm sure the raid drivers would have to be installed, and that would kill the already existing raid 0 setup, ?? correct..
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

RAID 0 = sol

There is no way to recover that :)

Cptn Vortex

You will need to find a board which uses the same storage controller. In your case, it looks to be a form of [FONT=tahoma,verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NVIDIA® nForce2 MCP.[/FONT][/FONT]

Jhayman

Thanks guys..
that's what I was thinking he's SOL..unless I find a Nforce 2 board, but would'nt I still need to install the raid drivers and that would kill thee existing raid 0 setup, no??

Cptn Vortex

Well, you would be able to put a 3rd indipendent drive in, and install the OS on that. The sata controller on the board should see the RAID before you boot, and then you would be able to see the drive in windows. Installing the RAID drivers is really only needed if you are installing the OS on the raid. So long as you install windows on a seperate drive, then isntall the chispet, raid, and board drivers, you should be able to see your RAID and extract the data.

enaberif

Well, you would be able to put a 3rd indipendent drive in, and install the OS on that. The sata controller on the board should see the RAID before you boot, and then you would be able to see the drive in windows. Installing the RAID drivers is really only needed if you are installing the OS on the raid. So long as you install windows on a seperate drive, then isntall the chispet, raid, and board drivers, you should be able to see your RAID and extract the data.

:thumb:

sswilson

Staff member
Just a quick question before you give up on his system completely.... did you try a bios reset on the off chance that it flipped a "bit" the wrong way?

ebdoradz

Just a quick question before you give up on his system completely.... did you try a bios reset on the off chance that it flipped a "bit" the wrong way?

thats what i was gonna ask, those nf2 board are realy tuff and hard to kill

i made mine die a couple time and a good 24hrs cmos clear have always get it back up and running

doa 24 hrs clear cmos, unplug video card try to use a pci video card, unplug anything unnessacery except the drive in raid 0

if it dont boot then, you might thinking looking for another board

have you check if there were any dust in the PS2 keyboard connector?? my dad asus a7v333 use to do that error often until i clean the ps2 connector with a can of air

Jhayman

I could do that only if I could get the computer up and running right?
Right now I does not boot, only keyboard error..
Tried a usb keyboard still no go..
I have tried to pull the battery yet..
I will call him and tell him to try that.

Jhayman

Well it's fixed now..
I told him to pull the battery and that did it..
I loaded a backup registry file..
I would have done that while I was there but he has his computer in a cubby hole in a dresser..
I could not get it out without a lot of work, had no time..
Thanks guys

Latest posts