What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Problem after power outage...

Rausch

The power outage may or may not be connected, but after a power outage I turned on my PC (it was on at the time of the outage) and got no video, beeps, or keyboard lights. I opened up the machine and took out a stick of RAM and it booted perfectly. I figured one of the sticks was faulty, but wanted to make sure, so I swapped the RAM sticks and it booted... not the RAM. I also ran memtest on both sticks and go no errors. So now my PC is running fine, but will not boot with two sticks of RAM (no matter what slots they are in). Any ideas? is the power supply or mobo shot? should I adjust the voltage on my RAM?

PC specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte P35 DS3L (rev 2?)
Processor - Intel C2D E8400
RAM - Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12
Vid Card - 8800 GTS 512
Power Supply - Corsair HX520

No overclocking, everything is stock.

I am an experienced software user, but no so much hardware so I appreciate any guidance!

Soultribunal

Staff member
My first thought is the Memory Controller is shot on the board now.
They run as singles, but the second you have them running Dual Channel they crap out.

Only thing I can think of off hand.

Regards,
ST

sswilson

Staff member
Have you done a cmos reset yet? Are your memory voltages set to manufacturer's recommended levels?

My first inclination is that the power bump messed up the stock settings in your bios, and that a cmos reset (as well as setting mem voltages properly) will probably put things back right.

Rausch

Thanks very much for the replies folks, I'll try resetting the CMOS and have a look at the voltage settings on the RAM.

Latest posts