What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

e6600 Over clocking limit?

mattydies

Well I usually try and save a buck wherever I can (That way I can put the savings towards more toys :biggrin:).

I bought my E6600 Chip off of E-bay - Not knowing that there was a Good and not as good chip for Over Clocking (the B0 Stepping or what ever.)

The CPU works great, nice and fast (compared to my pentium D). Sadly I got the less desirable CPU.

Can anyone tell me what is a respectable OC for this CPU? I am waiting for my Mobo to come back from the RMA, Hense why I have not tried for myself.

I'm curious and waiting sucks. Thanks :clap:

enaberif

Well I usually try and save a buck wherever I can (That way I can put the savings towards more toys :biggrin:).

I bought my E6600 Chip off of E-bay - Not knowing that there was a Good and not as good chip for Over Clocking (the B0 Stepping or what ever.)

The CPU works great, nice and fast (compared to my pentium D). Sadly I got the less desirable CPU.

Can anyone tell me what is a respectable OC for this CPU? I am waiting for my Mobo to come back from the RMA, Hense why I have not tried for myself.

I'm curious and waiting sucks. Thanks :clap:

No such thing as a respectable overclock as some people have hit 3.6 and others barely hit 3.2

Myself I'm at about 3.3 or so stable without any issues.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Overclocking is always the Luck of the Draw. You just never know. The chip itself as an effect (obviously), but the other components also.

mattydies

I am aware that results can easily vary from one chip to another, and the other hardware in the computer.

My motherboard started acting up not long after I bought it (before I had a chance to try and O/C.) My CPU seemed to run hot compared to the average e6600 (I do not know the numbers off hand). I looked into it, and my version was one which ran hotter. I was curious if it I just have more heat to deal with, or if I will likely be limited (by the chip or heat).

I am just anxious to get the mobo back (hopefully a new one) and take a good novice crack at overclocking :biggrin:

I was able to play around with my video card and O/C. MSI NX7800GT

Stock GPU @ 400mhz
OC'd @ 480mhz

Stock VideoRam @ 1000mhz
OC'd @ 1202

I had achieved higher OC's, but the benchmarked performance gains were small, and game play showed some artifacting. I backed the timing down enough to eliminate the artifacting and then a bit more just in case. I enjoyed doing that and got a nice performance increase :clap:

I just wish I could OC right now and find out :)

Babrbarossa

Well that ultra 120 should handle the heat quite well- always risky buying a used CPU as chances are is a bit of a reject, but time will tell- keep us filled in, and we'll do what we can do if you need any advice.

Prof. Dr. Silver

Remember that OC'ing results are very different from setup to setup! (Is this repeated a lot??) LOL

My E6600 normally runs 3.0GHz but on benchmark runs it does 3.5 at the max! Anyways, good luck!

JD

Staff member
Mine can do 3.42GHz with "auto", I'd assume stock, voltage. 380*9. Totally stable too. I've had it up at 3.6GHz as well with 1.5V but for the increase in temperatures for just 180MHz more, it's just not worth it.

By CPU-Z it's revision B2 if that helps.

ginnz

im running my E6600 at 3.6 (400x9), its a later edition chip, L712A....

but i need 1.425 core volts for stable operation at this speed. if my CPU and NB wern't watercooled, i dont think i could pull it off with the temps im getting.

NuxTux

I could get mine to 3.6Ghz but I need to put the voltage around 1.3. Checking core them my system starts around 45ºc idle. If I set the FSB to 8x375Mhz I can run it at v1.2 with stable idle temps of 38ºc on low fan speed.

Latest posts