What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Fresh Win7 Install on SSD

Hunt

So I bit the bullet and picked up one of the X25-V 40gb for my OS.

If I install Win7 on my SSD, can I just plug in my old HDD as a second hard drive and still have access to all the files on it, even though it has windows installed on it? I just don't want to got through the hassle of having to back up all my files if I can still access them on the old drive.

AkG

Yup (of course your installed programs will need to be REinstalled, but your data will be available via your "D" drive). Just make sure to set the HDD order to the V and not your old hdd in your BIOS.

Also make sure to either run in AHCI mode, or setup up manual trim via the SSD Toolbox. AHCI is needed for the TRIM command to be passed from the OS to the SSD.

Hunt

Excellent, I was pretty sure it'd work, but wouldn't want to go ahead and run into issues. Thanks for the tips with AHCI. I probably would have messed it up if you hadn't mentioned it.

Looks like I've only got about 23GB of programs, so the 40gb should be more than enough. Was debating the X25-M 80gb, but figured the extra $140 could be spent on a new cpu/mb/ram instead.

Jd007

Make sure you set the motherboard to AHCI mode BEFORE you do the reinstall, as the OS will not be recognized if do the change afterwards.

ipaine

Make sure you set the motherboard to AHCI mode BEFORE you do the reinstall, as the OS will not be recognized if do the change afterwards.

Actually that is not so with windows 7. I have moved it over to AHCI after the fact with no issues.

But with XP yes it will cause issues.

AkG

Actually that is not so with windows 7. I have moved it over to AHCI after the fact with no issues.

Exactly, it is fairly easy to do it after wards (only a reg edit needed)....but nothing beats doing it before for low hassle factor ;)

jtcb

I have somewhat similar question. I have Win7 64bit installed on SSD. My old HD in my old system is XP hence 32bit. Can I plug the old drive to my new system and backup files to my data drive in my new system instead of using USB key to transfer files?

gingerbee

yes you can just plug it in adn transfer off your old data. and just to let everyone know i have never had to do this reg hack to go back and forth from ahci to ide windows 7 does this fine so does vista i have done this on many many machines in fact i just did it yesterday there's no need for the reg hack. jmo as always.

Latest posts