What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet bandwidth useage. -Questions

NuxTux

Let me first say my highest upload is around 60-70KB. My Highest download is around 800KB-850KB.

So right now I'm downloading a few things off the internet. Three file lets say.

File A is downloading around 96KB-112KBs. Uploading around 3-7KB
File B is downloading around 30KB-70KB. Uploading around 10KB-16KB
File C is downloading around 280-350KB Uploading around 1KB-3KB

Now as I'm surfing the internet its like I'm on dial up. Google takes a long time to pull up and pages don't display as quickly now as they would if I was not downloading. If I were to add all the top download peaks they add up to less then 600KBs. Lets just make it 600KB for jokes. Thats still not toping out my max download... then add all the top upload speeds, its 26KBs lets make that 30KBs that also doesn't top my max upload.

So I'm left over with 200KB of download and 30KB of upload left. Why are my pages displaying so slow with that much left over? If I were to use my friends internet which is high speed ultra light pages would load faster right now that I'm download, but last time I check ultra light has 100-125KB download and 10-15KB upload.

Can anyone help me with these questions.

Last edited:

enaberif

Let me first say my highest upload is around 60-70KB. My Highest download is around 800KB-850KB.

So right now I'm downloading a few things off the internet. Three file lets say.

File A is downloading around 96KB-112KBs. Uploading around 3-7KB
File B is downloading around 30KB-70KB. Uploading around 10KB-16KB
File C is downloading around 280-350KB Uploading around 1KB-3KB

Now as I'm surfing the internet its like I'm on dial up. Google takes a long time to pull up and pages don't display as quickly now as they would if I was not downloading. If I were to add all the top download peaks they add up to less then 600KBs. Lets just make it 600KB for jokes. Thats still not toping out my max download... then add all the top upload speeds, its 26KBs lets make that 30KBs that also doesn't top my max upload.

So I'm left over with 200KB of download and 30KB of upload left. Why are my pages displaying so slow with that much left over? If I were to use my friends internet which is high speed ultra light pages would load faster right now that I'm download, but last time I check ultra light has 100-125KB download and 10-15KB upload.

Can anyone help me with these questions.

You have to remember when your surfing the internet data is sent to and from your computer.

You make a request to the server, the server passes it to you, and you pass back to the server your choice.

The passing back to the server is via upload which is why it seems like its going so slow.

Saturate your upload and internet goes ...... down the toilet.

NuxTux

Yeah but I still have around 30KB upload left and with a Ultra light connection you only get 15KB to start with. Thats what I'm still confessed about.

enaberif

Yeah but I still have around 30KB upload left and with a Ultra light connection you only get 15KB to start with. Thats what I'm still confessed about.

Don't forget about things like instant messenging, windows update, etc etc.

Youd' be surprised how fast your bandwidth can be absorbed.

Mars

What OS are you using?

If you're using Vista, check out the reliability and performance monitor, it will show you your total network utilization, and uploads/downloads per process/connection.

I just checked mine, with just my regular internet stuff going (nothing across the LAN), I'm hovering around 20 Mbps total.

Mr. Cipher

Does it always do that? It could be that the internet is saturated between you and the websites you're trying to access, slowing everything down.

Keep in mind those are MAX speeds, not dedicated speeds (which is why back in the day, when cable first came out, ISDN, although slower compared to cable's max, was still better because it was a dedicated line).

Latest posts