What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Q6600 still viable?

enaberif

I would say that if you purchase a 775 cpu. it would be a big mistake. It would really be just a lateral move.

How do you figure it would be a lateral move? You realize that even with current processors they STILL aren't being fully utilized for stuff like gaming and such?

I would say that identical machines spec wise of which one runs a q6600 and one runs a i5 you'd see a minor improvement in frames.

As someone stated GPU plays a much larger role in a system than cpu.

Ernimus Prime

I said that because the LGA775 is a dead platform. I guess you would by a faster processor if you want to extend the life for a year our so. But moving to SB would probably give you 4-5 years based on passed experience. Video cards are different. The last maybe 2-3 years.

enaberif

I said that because the LGA775 is a dead platform. I guess you would by a faster processor if you want to extend the life for a year our so. But moving to SB would probably give you 4-5 years based on passed experience. Video cards are different. The last maybe 2-3 years.

LGA 775 is far from dead. There is LOTS of life left in that platform. If there wasn't manufacturers wouldn't be producing boards for it.

Not everyone has the cash to fork into a 1155, 1556 or a 1366 system these days and 775 can be found for dirt cheap these days.

Pentium 4 on the other hand.. yes its dead.

jurassic1024

Insane i tell ya...

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not entirely clear how going from Q6600 to a E8600 would be an upgrade, especially when games are more and more multithreaded and made for more than 2 cores.

I'm thinking it may be worth it if I can find a Q9550 that does over 4ghz on air and drop it in my p5k

he's right. if you look at any CPU scaling tests, the biggest jump of course is 1 core to 2, then 2 to 3/4. 3-4 being minimal. anyone with a dual core that thinks it performs the same as the same rig with a triple or quad core is insane.

jurassic1024

I actually upgraded my first P35 s775 mobo with a P45 s775 for the x8 x8 PCIe lanes and DDR3 support to hold me off til I decided to go SB and Z68 chipset. Got my Q6600 G0 stepping when it dropped down to $249 from $500+. I've been running it at 3.2GHz since day one. Sweet chip, but when i see current CPU reviews that include the Q6600 at stock getting stomped by a large number of chips, I can't help but let it bug me. And overclocking only does so much. My hope is a nice revision of the 2500K comes out (a la the good ol Q6600 B3 to G0), then pair it with a nice Z68 chipset mobo with Virtu.

skydealseeker

it really depends on the budget. q6600 is still very good for moderate resolution gaming. however, if you're going to keep the rig for more than 2 yrs, I won't go for it.

Spacedeck

Hey guys can i have a bit of input. Getting this rig of my mate because he is building a new one. I have never owned a gaming pc of any sorts and have always had integrated graphics built in.

The rig is:

Desktop
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
60GB SSD and 2 1TB discs for media
8GB DDR2
Motherboard Asus P5Q
Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 1GB
Intel Q6600 at 3.0
Artic freezer pro cooler
Corsair VX 650W

What's this going to be like for gaming? Due to never have a gamng PC i dont own any recent games as i could never run them.

Now the rig it's self isn't top noch and around 2 years old. Now when and if i wanted to upgrade would i be able to just upgrade the graphics card for it to give me better FPS? And is the 6600 still n good shape for gaming? Can the motherboard even take a Recent graphics card? Any info of this rig would be very helpful.

I think one of my main games will be COD games, maybe a few battlefield games, MOH Airbourne ect ect. Maybe even bioshock as never played them. How would games like this fare and then how would games like AC2 and Black Ops work on the rig? I think ill be connecting throuh my 32" Samsung TV but may have a monitor around the 20" mark.

Thanks in advance.

Spacedeck

That system has lots of life left. Just get a new video card.

Thanks, can the motherboard take a card like the 480? Or later?

Also upgrading the Graphics card would it give me a good boost in FPS? Or would the Q6600 limit it because of how old it is? Is 8GB DDR2 just as good as say 4GB DDR3?

Thanks for the reply mate.

dma0991

With your current setup I would suggest against getting a GTX480 as your 650W PSU might just be enough. It is better to have a little bit of power headroom.

I suggest getting the HD6970 instead which would work well in a single GC setup with a 650W PSU. Overclocking your processor a bit more than your current overclocked 3.0Ghz is necessary to reduce potential bottleneck of your CPU.

Latest posts