What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Diablo 3

Soultribunal

Staff member
I got a beta invite and have played the Barbarian so far. When they released the latest patch it was laggy for about a half hour, but cleared pretty quickly. Must say that while the beta doesn't offer too much, it does certainly show how much more improved it is over D2.

I've found a few bugs, like the HUD saying I have an empty equipment slot, but I don't. Other than that, it's smoothed out quite nicely. I can't wait for retail release!

Yeah that one bug has been posted quite a bit (HUD issue) over on the Beta Forums.
There are also achievment issues that haven't been sorted out yet either.
But, its getting there for sure.

-ST

Omega_Phoenix

Soul and I have done a handful of co-op testing, this is the summary of what I've found so far:

-Achievements not unlocking
-Channeled spells break the game (has since been fixed, at least for me, some on beta forums are still complaining about this)
-"Destruction"/"Massacre"/etc toast window has an accompanying sound that ends in a horrendous pc-speaker-like mechanical beep
-if your inventory is entirely full, attempting to dual wield or swap a dual wielded weapon results in the message "Not enough inventory space to complete this operation"
-on 1920X1080 resolution, there are no cursors on the login screen for either text box
-Demon Hunter is not listed in the player profile under the "Time Played By Class" section

I've seen a lot of nifty bugs on the beta forum too. Definitely got some kinks to work out but it's a very very solid piece of game.

Jared11

I am enjoying the experience overall to an extent, but of course it will never be as original as diablo or diablo 2. I don't like to bash on Beta's, because it's a Beta release for a reason.. They have to sort out the kinks and flaws.

Gameplay wise, its pretty good so far. I am not WOW'd, but I give Blizzard alot of credit for this. You can't make this game the same as it's predicessors, and at the same time you can't change it too much, as it won't feel the same.

Omega_Phoenix

You can't make this game the same as it's predicessors, and at the same time you can't change it too much, as it won't feel the same.

Most of the reason behind this is that Condor/Blizzard North no longer exists. Some of their key employees have moved on, some stayed behind with the new Activision Blizzard to work on D3. So there's a lot of good ideas that could have come from people who worked on Diablo and Diablo II who aren't in the picture. I don't disagree, the game looks and feels awesome. It won't have the same out-of-the-box omg factor that Diablo II had for sure, but at least it's a major step up in a good direction. There were a TON of things I always hated about Diablo II (mostly it's lack of online monitoring and the abundance of hackers/botters).

Arinoth

Staff member
I haven't been following D3 much lately, is there any of the new classes that plays like the combat assassin in D2? It was the only class I could spend hours and hours on leveling, over and over again.

Inik

Folding Team
I haven't been following D3 much lately, is there any of the new classes that plays like the combat assassin in D2? It was the only class I could spend hours and hours on leveling, over and over again.

I would say the Monk!

bojangles

They kinda split the Assassin into the Monk and Demon Hunter, with Monk being more combat, and Demon Hunter more traps.

I think it's a good balance though, and it somewhat makes sense for the classes.

I've yet to play the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter. Will play Witch Doctor tonight most likely!

Soultribunal

Staff member
I am enjoying the experience overall to an extent, but of course it will never be as original as diablo or diablo 2. I don't like to bash on Beta's, because it's a Beta release for a reason.. They have to sort out the kinks and flaws.

Gameplay wise, its pretty good so far. I am not WOW'd, but I give Blizzard alot of credit for this. You can't make this game the same as it's predicessors, and at the same time you can't change it too much, as it won't feel the same.

The graphical improvements are very nice , they blended it well so that its not too stressful on older systems, and newer systems can still max things out to give you all the effects you like. Though, I have a feeling in the Beta we are limited by the number of options we can tweak to cut down on issues not related to CORE gameplay.

For the design of the game itself, it has a good flow to it, both in storyline and in patching the holes left by D1/D2.
It will never be, like Omega said, the smash hit the second one was. And, we do not know how 'long' of a game it is so time will tell how 'grindy' it starts to feel. ITs nice to see a mode beyond HELL though. That should make things very co-op oriented/focused.
Some of the nice touches....original music re-imagined from town in D1. The Sound items make when being discovered or falling to the ground is remastered, yet still true to the originals.
Skills and commands are trimmed down, you have more flexibility, and don't have to worry about dumping 20 points into a skill to be any good. I was worried before how Blizzard would accomplish this, but now that I have had the chance to play it first hand, the change works.

It feels right. For now, time will tell once it goes Live.

-ST

Arinoth

Staff member
They kinda split the Assassin into the Monk and Demon Hunter, with Monk being more combat, and Demon Hunter more traps.

I think it's a good balance though, and it somewhat makes sense for the classes.

I've yet to play the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter. Will play Witch Doctor tonight most likely!

Alright thanks, I may try out the Monk if I have some free time to play the D3 beta. Not big loss on the lack of traps, never used em anyways.

Latest posts