What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GTX 660 Ti Review Comment Thread

Galcobar

Nice review. I like the fact that you only tested the stock factory cards from both AMD and NV. Using a different approach, Anandtech benched both the 7950B and several overclocked NV cards. If Ryan was being consistent he would have pulled out one or two highly overclocked 7950's as well, but it's his article and he can write it any way he wants.

It's good to see that you guys have stuck to your traditional testing techniques, hopefully other sites will do that in the future.

Ryan also downclocked the 660 Ti to reference speeds. Though overall, isn't the 7950B basically an overclocked-overvolted 7950 (yes, more complicated than that but the end result is effectively the same)?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
You can't downclock a pre overclocked Kepler-series card in the hopes of replicating reference performance. The reason for this is simple: there is no way of modifying the Base Clock through software right now and the only thing that will be done is the application of an artificial cap upon the Boost frequency. This means higher than reference base frequencies and possibly lower than reference Boost overhead.

IMO, the only way of properly testing this card is to reflash a reference design like the Superclock with a reference BIOS. I think that's what we did and I am sure Ryan did the same.

Last edited:

BigPhatPaulie

Lol why is it everytime a new nvidia card comes out someone joins the site just to say your wrong? at any rate great review and Im tempted to pull the trigger on one at the end of summer

YukonTrooper

Every other review I've looked at so far generally gives the 660Ti a more favorable writeup than Sky. Bring it, trolls.

eyefinity

Banned
Not letting through posts that point you in a bad light hmm SKY? Tut tut. Why don't you link that legitreviews review again, so we can see how wrong you were?

sswilson

Staff member
Not letting through posts that point you in a bad light hmm SKY? Tut tut. Why don't you link that legitreviews review again, so we can see how wrong you were?

Did you have a particular post in mind? I don't see any moderation in the queue ATM but I might have missed one. If it was a second account you yourself created to make a point, then all first posts are put into moderation to combat spam and if it came from the same IP it's actually breaking our TOS.

Now, onto the content of your post. There isn't any, and I believe you already got a response from SKYMTL WRT the little content there is. We don't shut down legitimate discourse here at HWC, but we have little stomach for trolls of any persuasion. Please keep your posts within our community standards (respectful of other members including staff, on topic, non-spamming (repeating the exact same question / comment would be considered spamming), etc...) or I'm afraid we'll have to ask you to take your opinions back to whatever forum you normally hang out at.

velias

I don't dislike AMD and I do think the 79xx cards are great cards. They're actually a good value now that they've gone down in price, i've used the 7970 in the past and it worked fine for me.

That said, I'm not sure why you're sperging out here - its hard to deny that nvidia has done nearly everything correct with regards to their kepler launch. They had great software, better efficiency (some don't care about this though) good launch prices, and now they're doing a game promo with borderlands 2. Make no mistake, the 660 is going to be a hit. I'm not saying that to hate on AMD, its just true; I do hope AMD improves on things a bit with the 8000 series.

As an aside, Its actually a good time to buy a GPU because the performance between AMD and nvidia is shockingly close now - the 7970 vs 680 is basically a wash. Its usually been a blowout one way or the other in prior years.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

I just went through every moderated post from the last 48 hours with a fine toothed comb. Not one of yours was moderated.

From Legitreviews:

The direct competition for this card is the AMD Radeon HD 7950 and the lowest priced card on that side of the fence is the XFX Double D Radeon HD 7950, which is available for $319.99 with $7.87 shipping after a $30 rebate. This makes the AMD Radeon HD 7950 about $30 more than the base version of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti and as you saw it was able to hold it's own in the games, but was a tad slower in the synthetic benchmarks.

Most gamers today game on a 1080P monitor, so this is the sweet spot and the GeForce GTX 660 Ti is now the card to have at that price.

I see no mention in the conclusion about it running head to head against the HD 7870. Indeed, if was that close, I am SURE Nate would have pointed it out. So you are either saying:

A) The writer at LR can't read his own charts
B) The writer at LR is hugely bias against AMD since he didn't bring up your points in the conclusion

Either one pretty much invalidates your own argument, no?

And for the record, I think the LR conclusion was actually quite favorable to the GTX 660 Ti. Not sure which conclusion you have been reading?

eyefinity

Banned
There are 2 posts of mine in the past 16 hours that didn't get through, both showing pictures of the legitreviews scores.

Anyway, the point was you used them as an example, but in their review THREE OVERCLOCKED 660 Ti's lose 3/4 games to the 7870, 2 of them by a large margin as well.

eyefinity

Banned
Here -

jc2.jpg

dirt-ultra.jpg

batman.jpg

How does that back up any argument that the 660 Ti is on par with the 7950? 3 different overclocked cards can't even win in two TWIMTBP games vs the 7870.

Latest posts