What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Mobo doesn't recognize all sata drives

aviduser

Have an MSI z87 g43 board I recently bought.

Upon arrival like reviews state the heatsinks on the board arrived loose, not even finger tight. Good start.

I've been talking to msi tech support and have updated the bios which helped a little. Ensured the sata controller is set to ahci. Seems the board will randomly drop a sata port. Or it's as if it won't let me install more than 4 drives.

Maybe I can live with one less hdd. I'm running windows 8 which has been one heck of a learning curve.

moocow

If you try swapping cables and still happens or you use the same set of cables and getting different results, RMA the board.

aviduser

Switched around cables, bios recognizes all 4 drives, windows only recognizes 3. If I remove drive 3 and substitute it with drive 4. Windows will show it.

So the drive itself and cable are being recognized by bios and windows. But If I switch it to sata 4 bios will see it and windows wont.

It's been a bit of a nightmare swapping drives/cables/checking bios/checking windows.

Almost want to go back the win7 and see if the problem persists. Pretty lost here...

EDIT: Had to manually assign the drive in windows 8 in order to recognize it. All is good, for now. Still don't trust the mobo 100% but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Latest posts